Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Genderly speaking are women more apt to get angry more often and become more impassioned than men? Is it the reverse or are they equal?

Genderly speaking are women more apt to get angry more often and become more impassioned than men? Is it the reverse or are they equal?

Posted - March 7, 2018

Responses

People tend to behave in whatever way society tolerates them behaving.

Women tend to express emotion more because they know society will tolerate and pander to their emotional outbursts more. Men tend to repress their feelings more because they know society will just tell them to "be a man".

Men are, to some extent, allowed express anger as a way to threaten enemies and try to intimidate them into changing their behaviour. Women are considered butch if they behave like this. Such expression is less tolerated in women.

The other type of anger is just a cry for help. It's an appeal for others to be rescue you from an abuser or it's begging an abuser to show mercy. It's weak. For a man, there is never really any excuse for being weak. For a woman there is never really any obligation to be strong. Therefore expressing this type of anger is more tolerated in women. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at March 7, 2018 6:58 PM MST
      March 7, 2018 6:47 AM MST

Well I don't think that society either "panders to" or tolerates our emotional outbursts. We may naturally cry more but in a work or other public situation we are judged just as much, and perhaps more, negatively for such things.  Because they can disrupt the desired flow of action. So in such  situations we share the obligation to be "strong".

And seems to me intimidation is pretty limited as a useful venue for men but what I have observed is many men seem to combine active weakness and strength to achieve something much as I imagine a prizefighter would do in a boxing match.  
      March 7, 2018 7:02 AM MST

Seems to me anger is more expressive of personal unhappiness while passion is a more positive quality that expresses dedication. Which is not the exclusive province or either sex. 
      March 7, 2018 7:05 AM MST