Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » While in a country foreign to your own on vacation or business, have you ever been treated so well that you almost felt like royalty? ~

While in a country foreign to your own on vacation or business, have you ever been treated so well that you almost felt like royalty? ~

Posted - March 12, 2018

Responses

• I wouldn't say "royalty", but during all my trips to Canada I was received with kindness and respect ... even in Quebec, where I was told to be prepared for a population that disliked almost every one.
      March 12, 2018 3:07 PM MDT

• (Don't go soft on me now! :)) )
      March 12, 2018 4:03 PM MDT

Not like royalty, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how well we were treated in Quito, Ecuador.  The people were very welcoming and hospitable and very patient with my lack of fluency in Spanish.  We went to a few open air markets and they were extremely accommodating in communicating with us.  I think they appreciated the fact that we made an attempt to speak their language rather than expecting them to speak English.
      March 12, 2018 3:28 PM MDT

Yep, especially my first trip to Europe in the 70s.  We were treated like stars.  We had two families take us home with them.  We stayed a couple of nights in a little hotel in a small German town in which the owners also lived.  We got there late at night and woke them.  They showed us to our room and five minutes later appeared with a tray of bread, meats, cheeses, fruits, and a bottle of wine.....just because we looked tired and hungry.  We lived in a different world than today.   I will never forget any of my travels, but that very first trip to Europe will always be the most special.  We were poor college kids and could afford over a month in Europe.  The dollar was so strong.  America was great.   
      March 12, 2018 4:32 PM MDT

I am treated like royalty when I have money people want.

No matter where on Earth  I am.

March 12, 2018 5:37 PM MDT