Active Now

Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » If you're in a long-distance relationship and living alone, are your thoughts primarily fears or temptations?

If you're in a long-distance relationship and living alone, are your thoughts primarily fears or temptations?

Posted - August 6, 2016

Responses

You must be kidding.  No temptations only lack of security 24/7

August 6, 2016 11:01 AM MDT

I'm thinking:

Please come home, please think of me, please be okay, I can't wait to see you again... 

August 6, 2016 11:04 AM MDT

• First off long distance is very hard.  Probably mostly fears, wondering if it's real, if you're wasting your time and also if they're being faithful.

August 6, 2016 11:12 AM MDT

August 6, 2016 11:45 AM MDT

I would like to think he heard me and will take positive action from now on.

What actions he takes next will be very telling of how much respect and care he really has for me

August 6, 2016 11:47 AM MDT

I don't see any of those things affecting each other except some people are afraid of being/living alone.  I sure do not see why it's in the relationship category.

August 6, 2016 1:41 PM MDT

If I have a relationship, there are no games.  I don't care if you are here in my face, or there, miles from nowhere. 

I have to know you to trust you enough so there need be no fears.  Temptations?  Fine.  Be tempted and tell me about it and we will see what that is all about.  If you act on it?  You are my friend, and that is where the relationship stays for good.  No fear.    Friends get to do whatever they want to, as long as they don't expect me to sanction it or make this "relationship" something else.   If you want to play?  Fine.  Do it without me.   

August 6, 2016 1:44 PM MDT

Yeppers!

August 6, 2016 4:41 PM MDT

•   August 7, 2016 3:47 AM MDT

•   August 7, 2016 3:47 AM MDT

• Even if the temptations are resisted and not given into?

August 7, 2016 3:48 AM MDT

• I've been there, jeephikelove.

August 7, 2016 3:50 AM MDT

• Primarily temptations. I've been in a long distance relationship and I can tell you the temptation can be maddening. 

August 7, 2016 4:49 PM MDT

• I fully endorse your statement. I'm going through it myself.

August 7, 2016 4:54 PM MDT

I have been in two long-distance relationships, and while I cannot honestly say there weren't niggling fears or temptations along the way, my time was spent doing what I needed to do...work, school, family, taking care of things and planning/preparing for the time when we could be together.

August 7, 2016 5:07 PM MDT

• Me to sweetie :-(

August 8, 2016 7:42 PM MDT

•   August 8, 2016 9:59 PM MDT

• Most of the fears, especially those of fidelity, usually have no basis when you come to think of them. And I comfort myself saying "if I can resist the temptations that come my way, why should I doubt his ability?" That keeps me going.

But I get very scared when he comes home after a week or two and says: " I want to tell you something", and then it's about some traffic fine he had to pay, or something that happened to a worker at his plant, etc ... and my apprehensions vanish away and I privately whisper a small prayer of thanks.

August 8, 2016 10:35 PM MDT

•   August 9, 2016 2:13 PM MDT

(too)
      August 9, 2016 6:13 PM MDT

"Games"? Why did you bring games into the discussion, Sharinna?

(Just wondering.)

:|
      August 9, 2016 6:15 PM MDT

• Most of the fears, especially those of fidelity, usually have no basis when you come to think of them. And I comfort myself saying "if I can resist the temptations that come my way, why should I doubt his ability?" That keeps me going.

But I get very scared when he comes home after a week or two and says: " I want to tell you something", and then it's about some traffic fine he had to pay, or something that happened to a worker at his plant, etc ... and my apprehensions vanish away and I privately whisper a small prayer of thanks.

August 9, 2016 8:54 PM MDT

I don't know if this counts, but I'll run it up your flagpole and see if you salute it (that's a military concept, pay me no mind).

When I was a Marine on active duty, I got married four years into my enlistment.  There were occasions when I was away from my wife for days or weeks, but after two years of marriage, I went overseas for a 6-month deployment.  It was the first time we had been apart for so long, and such a long distance between us (she was on the east coast of the US, I was in Asia).

She was the one more "living alone" than I was, because I reverted to what was a well-known entity for me; a Marine living in the barracks with the other men of his unit, a life that I had lead for 4 years prior to marriage.  Not only did my wife have our young son with her on the day I left, she was also in the last trimester of her second pregnancy.  We missed each other terribly, our contact was sporadic (mobile phones and the internet didn't even exist then), it boiled down to a few very expensive phone calls and lots of letter-writing.

My thoughts were neither fears nor temptations, well, less about fear than temptations, I should say.  I made sure I didn't even get near situations that would increase the temptations, I didn't "consort" with women, but overall it was easy to resist.  Or at least that's what I convince myself of in retrospect.

(In writing this, I take it you mean fears of one's s/o being unfaithful and temptations that one might be unfaithful, right?)

[Disclaimer: the Marine in the photo is NOT me, I found it online, and I chose to post it here because he very closely resembles how I looked back then.]

~

August 10, 2016 1:10 AM MDT

• Oh yes, right sorry my bad and too late to correct it!!!  :-(

August 10, 2016 7:09 PM MDT