Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Which do you distrust more? A random jury or a bench trial judge not in your pocket?

Which do you distrust more? A random jury or a bench trial judge not in your pocket?

Hmmm :(

Posted - March 18, 2018

Responses

• Dammed up if I do, flood gates if I don't. 
      March 18, 2018 9:28 AM MDT

Yes
      March 18, 2018 9:30 AM MDT

It depends on the: issue and location.  The law is not equal across the land, unfortunately. 
      March 18, 2018 10:28 AM MDT

The Judge....How can one person be deemed unbiased....
      March 18, 2018 11:35 AM MDT

Juries are never random.  The pool is but an actual jury is chosen very carefully.
      March 18, 2018 9:32 PM MDT

20 plus years ago, I was charged with a DUI in Sedona.  I was not driving and all they had as evidence was the fact that my trunk had unopened alcohol from a prior 4th of July party about a month before.

Without going in to detail, I decided to pead guilty.  Here is why:  I had to tell an involved story.  I KNEW that the chances of anyone caring to listen in that neck of the woods was slim to none.

I was afraid if I fought it and lost I would do some jail time.  That I was not willing to roll the dice on.

So, after I took the deal to a one day in jail penalty, (It could have been six months) the Judge presiding over the case tells me that I chose wisely because they have not found anyone with a DUI charge innocent in that city in over a decade.

Nice.   They referred to a jury trial in Sedonna.  If you DUI, you're gonna fry.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 18, 2018 10:20 PM MDT
      March 18, 2018 10:19 PM MDT