Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Have men really "fallen?"

Have men really "fallen?"

A NYT article just released says "Women have spoken. Men have fallen. Corporations are nervous. But are American workplaces making real progress in curbing sexual harassment?" 

I think it's a very odd choice of wording, particularly for an outlet like the Times. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/us/sexual-harassment-workplace-response.html 

Posted - March 23, 2018

Responses

I have been hearing this same clap-trap for decades now.   Situations are progressing. Sometimes quickly, sometimes very slowly.  I think this cannot be put back into the bottle.  It is out there and we are making progress and enlightening men in the process.  Might is not right. 
      March 23, 2018 3:49 PM MDT

Fallen no.. because that was never the intention.. It's a myth that it put about to try to whip men up to a frenzy of panic and fear.. it doesn't wash.. other than with those very insecure men who prefer to behave like dinosaurs with head in the sand... real men don't feel threatened because there's nothing to feel threatened about 
      March 23, 2018 4:31 PM MDT

A manager from my workplace was recently fired for sexual harassment. What he did? He put his hand on a woman's shoulder whilst greeting her. The world has gone crazy! 30 years ago, real sexual harassment was ignored. Nowadays, any kind of physical contact can be classed as it. No corporate executive wants a case of sexual harassment hanging over them, they're terrified of it, too afraid to dispute it.  So they just fire the accused right off the bat because they want to get rid of it. 
      March 23, 2018 5:59 PM MDT

hope all the single women enjoy staying single ....these days guys have to be afraid to ask them out or even for their phone number...
      March 26, 2018 8:09 PM MDT

• That could be an appropriate word to describe what has happened to famous men whose reputations and careers have been damaged by the exposition of their sexual improprieties. In order to fall, you have to have been up there to begin with, so this would really only apply to the high-profile men who have fallen from that high status and regard. 
      March 23, 2018 7:39 PM MDT

I think it important that men learn to respect a woman's dignity. Women also should be held to the high standards expected of men. This means that when a woman is aware of the fact a man is married, that she will respect that, instead of considering it a challenge.
    Many marriages have been shattered because of such wreckless and utter disregard towards the sanctity of marriage.
      March 27, 2018 11:02 PM MDT

I don't know that any men have "fallen".  And most corporations have had guidelines in place for that kind of thing since the 1980s.  Obviously they will be sensitive to trends and the possibility of bad press.  But the greater sensitivity will be to the bottom line so while marginal employees may be quickly let go those who are more important and vital to the company will almost certainly be retained and defended whatever. 

Men will try to get in our pants and that is natural.  They can do it in a way that respects us or disrespects us. Any kind of coercive or threatening behavior is harassment.  In most companies inside affairs are discouraged as policy but they do sometimes happen.  

We have to realize that in working with men we are going to be experience and be subject to male behavior.  Most of us are also accustomed to in some way or other seeking attention from men so if we are not careful we can become  targets of behavior designed primarily to fluster or get a rise out of us which makes them feel superior.  And rather than ignoring it or dismissing it simply we get caught up in it  which distracts us from our work which we should have been more concentrating on instead of being drawn into the game. 

I can remember co-workers discussing in great detail their extramarital "conquests" and I knew they were trying to embarrass me.  Which they did but I played it cool and kept on working so when they knew I would not rise to the bait they respected me more though maybe they thought I was less fun.  Another time an older colleague asked me in all seriousness what size male organ I preferred and I think I said something like " a functioning one".  Humor helps but you have to dismiss them and not feed into their game.  And when they find out they can't play that with you then they stop trying to. 

When I was young a couple of times I allowed colleagues to take advantage of me sexually mostly because I didn't know how to get out of it.  But soon I learned that if they only see you as a sex object then they will never respect you.  Which was too bad and I think maybe since then that has changed somewhat but I would still counsel anyone who is serious about their work and their future in a company not to get involved in any office romances at all.  No matter how alone you might feel don't tempt fate.  Keep your personal life private. 

I can't respect these women who seek to publicize their affairs - often years ago - with high-profile celebrities and even legally seek damages.  You notice  we never hear of their involvement with or harassment by any normal Joes or Rays because all they are seeking is notoriety or money.  And in our society its funny but we have such a love/hate thing going on about our celebrities.  We love them but we also resent their success so when it has run its course we tend to be quick to dismiss and stomp on them because it proves to us that we are superior to them. 
      May 17, 2018 7:34 AM MDT