Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What strategies do you have/can you recommend for enduring a situation that is really difficult but where you have little choice to endure?

What strategies do you have/can you recommend for enduring a situation that is really difficult but where you have little choice to endure?

I am thinking maybe soothing pictures? words? Poem? Physical object that when you look at it you feel soothed and calmed? Maybe a tune? Or?  

Posted - March 29, 2018

Responses

• I'm doing it.  The internet is momentary escape.  Also, the only sound is my A/C and my clickity fingers.  The best part is I get to kick off my shoes and sit on my derrière for a few minutes.

March 29, 2018 2:51 PM MDT

I love that.. but what would you do if you were at work, supposed to be working, cannot distract yourself with internet and you have to keep your shoes on 
      March 29, 2018 2:53 PM MDT

• I'm not sure what I would do, but I do know I would sure love to have a job that paid me to doodle (no offense intended, I'd really love it).
      March 29, 2018 3:11 PM MDT

I love doodling too... there will definitely be no doodling in the office where i work sadly
      March 29, 2018 3:16 PM MDT

Well I think we always have a choice but I  would say to concentrate on it and really focus on getting it right so it becomes not difficult but delightful.
      March 29, 2018 2:57 PM MDT

Very good advice lol and that's what I'd say to someone else if they asked me :) Unfortunately when it's yourself it's harder :P  So what if.... there was a situation, you had to stay because you are in the middle of a college course and won't be qualified for another year and you NEED to stay in a job where there's flexibility to change your hours round if needed, and you have to stay in this job because your daughter goes to the college where you work and you MUST be there for her because she has disabilities and special needs and needs you to be there to support her/go to the canteen with her, be there to hear when she is overwhelmed but the people you were with are utter backstabbing shallow people who truly treat others/students badly...  Tough call  
      March 29, 2018 3:21 PM MDT

I have a very active imagination, so I simply retreat into my mind.  I'll make up stories, dissect words (making smaller words out of larger ones, seeing how many words I can make out of a set of letters, and such), create a parody of something around me (so that it's funny), and so forth.  Gets me through company meetings, funerals, doctor exams, family gatherings - you name it.
      March 29, 2018 3:30 PM MDT

Brief periods of meditation often work for me.
      March 29, 2018 5:27 PM MDT

download and put it where you can easily read. This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at May 26, 2018 11:14 AM MDT
      March 29, 2018 5:55 PM MDT

yes this happens occasionally 
    Not a problem.
    staying centered within
    the presence of the moment
    Balance is maintained.
    Staying centered within
    the presence within and
    not being attached to the action
    being performed outwardly,
    any situation can be endured.
    ...in other words
    maintain a meditative state
    within all actions,
    Keep awareness of the Bliss within
    stay within it regardless of whatever else is happening.
    Sooo simple.
    But because of our attachments
    we are used to not having any awareness
    of our bliss within.

March 30, 2018 9:00 AM MDT