Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » ever had laughing gas at the dentist

ever had laughing gas at the dentist

ever had laughing gas at the dentist  

Posted - June 26, 2016

Responses

• I've had gas at the dentist and no one was laughing 

June 26, 2016 10:54 PM MDT

I think most people have.
      June 26, 2016 11:35 PM MDT

• Yes, when my wisdom teeth were pulled, decades ago.
      June 26, 2016 11:38 PM MDT

• Lol, GoatJumper :D
      June 26, 2016 11:39 PM MDT

• Yes, though not often, but I have had it.
      June 27, 2016 12:22 AM MDT

Yes it really takes the edge off. I had a tooth pulled and never had one pulled while I was awake. The gas help me to relax and I didn't feel a thing.

June 27, 2016 4:58 AM MDT

Never had that pleasure, only shots in the mouth.

June 27, 2016 5:01 AM MDT

No.  I will not allow it be used. 

June 27, 2016 10:10 AM MDT

I have never let the dentist use it on me and would not allow it on my kids either (I don't really remember him ever wanting to use it on them) .  I've been at the dentist way more than the normal person. 

June 27, 2016 10:14 AM MDT

Nope

June 27, 2016 11:44 AM MDT

Yes, but it wasn't working well for me due to constricted nasal passages... So they had to put the Nitrous oxide to 90% which is a dangerous level and would put most people in a coma. But not me, because it just wasn't getting through properly.

My nurse and dentist felt the effects more than me hahaha :) 

June 27, 2016 1:34 PM MDT

Most, not all. It's not something that benefits everyone, but for a lot of people, it makes dental work much easier. It's possible your dentist never mentioned it because your demeanor suggests that you're fine without it or because he doesn't offer it. I worked for a dentist who offered it and then sold his practice to someone who wouldn't allow it in his office for religious reasons. Quite a few patients left because of it, but many adapted and went without. 

June 27, 2016 1:47 PM MDT
  • Bez

I have not.

I have not.

June 27, 2016 2:11 PM MDT

• A long time ago. It does make you chuckle.

June 27, 2016 2:15 PM MDT

not yet

June 27, 2016 8:19 PM MDT

I've had the modern equivalent, 'Entonox' - a mixture of nitrous oxide and oxygen.

Often used to ease delivery pain, in my case it was for stitching a wound in a hand, not for dental work. It is self-administered using  hand-held mask so when your body has had enough you tend to drop the mask automatically by relaxation, but I can see that may not be so easy for dental operations.

I'm interested in why some people here are so worried that they won't have gas from the dentist.

I don't know what full anaesthetic is like but Entonox used properly as an analgesic and not anaesthetic it's probably the safest option simply because it is short-lived and patient-controlled. It makes you feel a bit drunkenly light-headed for a short time, but once that sensation passes and you start to feel pain again you know your body has pretty well expelled it or broken it down.

I encountered Entonox first in a first-aid part of a cave-rescue "workshop", when we each had a very cautious sniff that wore off in under a minute; so when offered it in hospital for the hand embroidery I accepted it with alacrity!

One reason Entonox is so useful and why voluntary rescuers can use it in caves or on mountains, is that it leaves no residues in the body that might interfere with subsequent hospital treatment including full anaesthesia.   

September 5, 2016 4:25 PM MDT

• In high school, I had a friend whose Dad was a dentist.  His parents went on vacation, and we were hired to do some light outdoor cleaning and landscaping while they were gone.  After the work was done, we went inside and turned on the nitrous and oxygen tanks and took turns passing the tube around (no mask.)  We all sat on the floor laughing at nothing and talking in deep voices for about half an hour. 

That's the only time I've ever had it. 

September 5, 2016 4:40 PM MDT