Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » Why do you think the Edsel is seemingly so maligned?

Why do you think the Edsel is seemingly so maligned?

I find Edsels the coolest-looking cars I've ever seen. I love them.
But they seem to be the butt of car jokes most of the time.

Image result for edsel car

Posted - April 5, 2018

Responses

The first Volkswagen arrived in NYC about the same time Ford started designing a mid-price model. Ten years later Ford announced the Edsel, and Volkswagen had run away with the small car market. The Edsel was good, but people expected better and cheaper, and that is what VW delivered.

People sent unmistakable messages to Detroit: they wanted better design rather than flashier styling, they wanted electric windshield wipers and to h*ll with vacuum wipers, they wanted one key to open the door and start the engine and a different key to open the trunk, they wanted keys that were the same upside down or right side up. Detroit stubbornly ignored those demands, and imports took the markets away from them.

Harley Davidson had the same problem and got the same result.
      April 5, 2018 12:04 PM MDT

Thanks, Jewels Vern, for helping me out.
    :)
      April 5, 2018 12:08 PM MDT

Because there were not enough people like you to buy them.
      April 5, 2018 2:03 PM MDT

• What kind of people would that be?
      April 5, 2018 4:04 PM MDT

People who were willing to spend the money to buy them.
      April 6, 2018 4:24 AM MDT

• good answer :-)
      April 6, 2018 2:46 PM MDT

Yeah, no insults were intended.

Edit:  Just simple supply and demand. This post was edited by tom jackson at April 7, 2018 4:33 AM MDT
      April 6, 2018 7:34 PM MDT

• You don't realize how heavy they were and how much gas they used.  My brother-in-law had one back in the 60s.  They really do look cool, though.
      April 5, 2018 4:02 PM MDT

Oh, I'd love to  talk to your brother-in-law and to have gone back in the past and have had a chance to ride in his!
    ;)
    Makes sense about the weight and gas.

April 5, 2018 6:14 PM MDT

• His was red where the one in your photo is black, and white where red.  I'd show you photos of his, but they're B&W.  Man, where have the years gone.
      April 5, 2018 7:36 PM MDT