Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How much of how you perceive yourself is based on the opinions of others? Do you NEED them to think you're wonderful? Why?

How much of how you perceive yourself is based on the opinions of others? Do you NEED them to think you're wonderful? Why?

Posted - April 6, 2018

Responses

0%

I teach; few understand, less learn.

I'm quite used to it being that way---too many average people are content with being so: others just don't "get it."

April 6, 2018 4:10 AM MDT

Me too. 0%. As a painfully shy child it mattered to me and I didn't know how to reach out to people and all I ever wanted to be was invisible. However as you may have gathered that was then this is now.  I've outgrown it. What matters now is saying what I think is true or shutting up altogether. How what I say is taken is entirely up to those who listen. I have no dog in that fight. I just need to be able to speak out about whatever and if no one listens or responds it matters not. It's enough that I was privileged to say what I think. Is it nicely nifty if someone replies in a civil and thoughtful way? Of course it is! That's the bliss at the end of the rainbow. But I still always will have the rainbow whether there is anything at the end of it or not. "When the student is ready the teacher appears". It is said. Do you agree? If folks are not open to what you have to teach do you still get satisfaction out of the action/activity of teaching? If you have favorite students they are undoubtedly the ones who are receptive and interactive and engaged . It must be so nice knowing that you helped students learn HOW TO THINK CRITICALLY. Thank you for your reply tom! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 6, 2018 11:49 AM MDT
      April 6, 2018 4:26 AM MDT

How what I say is taken is entirely up to those who listen. I have no dog in that fight.   Same here.

It's enough that I was privileged to say what I think---to me, given what passes for truth these days, I consider it an obligation.

"When the student is ready the teacher appears"  Yep---truth is made for the mind as water is made for thirst---A quote from CS Lewis in The Great Divorce.

What I say is usually not intended to achieve any specific purpose other than to show there is another side to the story.  When one seeks to make things turn out with an edifying conclusion, one is offering to the God of all Truth the unclean sacrifice of a lie---Also from CS Lewis.

Regards...
      April 6, 2018 7:46 PM MDT

Aren't the NARNIA stories from the pen of C.S. Lewis or am I confusing him with someone else?. I LOVED The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe. The Lion was ever so wise. An animal version of Yoda whom I also adore. I wish such fictional characters were in fact among us and real and human. Honor. Truth. Kindness. Justice. A world based on that? That would be heaven wouldn't it? Thank you for your thoughtful reply tom. My 3rd grade teacher Miss Baker was the one who made me feel good about myself even though I was an oddball...maybe BECAUSE I was. She became a family friend and attended my high school graduation. A couple of junior college professors made me realize I had a brain and something to contribute and encouraged me to speak up. Then I had a very smart boss...the smartest person I've ever met...who had faith in me to figure things out. At first I was angry with him but after I was left on my own and DID figure it out I learned to have faith in myself and not always want to rely on those smarter than me. He was always there to "help" after I had exhausted my brain and resourceful attempts to do a job but as time went on I needed him less and less.  Having a teacher who sees more in you than you do is awesome. Having a boss who forces you to rely on yourself because he/she has faith in you is also awesome. I was lucky to have both when I needed them.  You have a unique power to give that to your students. All teachers do. More so than any parents because we EXPECT parents to tell their kids how great they are. That's their job. When encouragement and faith in you comes from outside sources that is priceless. I don't know what life would have been like for me had I not started out painfully shy. Just as well. I'm happy with the hand I was dealt and the help I received along the way helping me how to play it! Happy Saturday tom!  :)
      April 7, 2018 3:04 AM MDT

Yes, the Chronicles of Narnia.  He was an atheist who converted to Christianity and became a well known Christian apologist.  Aslan was essentially "Christ" in his fictional writings.

I'd say your life is a good example of a success story.

I have a number of people who have said that I am the smartest person they know---what that tells me is that I must be doing something both right and useful.

And that is exactly what I have always wanted to do.
      April 7, 2018 1:32 PM MDT

You know the poet John Donne was a non-believer and then became a believer and that is when he wrote Meditation 17..".no man is an island" etcetera. I wonder which happens more often? Converting from Atheism or to Atheism? I'm gonna ask.  I think we all want to have mattered on a broader scale than just to our family and friends. Maybe a kindness to a stranger or an acquaintance changed his/her life. You can never know how you have impacted others. People whose names you may never have known or remember may always remember you and think kindly of you for what you did or said that helped them through something. That's the good part. Then there is the flip side. Maybe folks you hurt who will always carry that hurt. Hopefully those are few and far between. I think a life in pursuit of wealth/power/success alone is a life not well-lived UNLESS one does something of value for others with it. You have the craven greedy selfish billionairheads and then you have the Bill & Melinda Gates type of billionaire. We can all do that at every level regardless of our financial situation. Reminds of a song. "It's whatcha do with whatcha got and never mind how much ya got it's whatcha do with whatcha got that pays off in the end". Thank you for your reply tom! :)
      April 8, 2018 2:43 AM MDT

You seem intelligent. Just don't let pride be your downfall. Perhaps you should be learning as well as teaching? In several threads over the last year or so you have told me how I misapply scriptures because I don't first accept the trinity before reading, or something like that. Perhaps when discussing the Bible, you should give a scripture in support of what you are trying to teach? You may do well on other subjects. I don't generally make strong assertions about things I am ignorant of. 

(1 Timothy 1:7) They want to be teachers of law, but they do not understand either the things they are saying or the things they insist on so strongly.
    (Ephesians 5:6) Let no man deceive you with empty words, for because of such things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience.
    (Colossians 2:8) Look out that no one takes you captive by means of the philosophy and empty deception according to human tradition, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ;
    (1 Timothy 6:20, 21) Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you, turning away from the empty speeches that violate what is holy and from the contradictions of the falsely called “knowledge.” 21 By making a show of such knowledge, some have deviated from the faith. May the undeserved kindness be with you.

EDIT: This isn't the first thread where I have seen you posting how much smarter you are than others.
    (Proverbs 16:18, 19) Pride is before a crash, And a haughty spirit before stumbling. 19 Better to be humble among the meek Than to share the spoil of the haughty.
    (Romans 12:3) For through the undeserved kindness given to me, I tell everyone there among you not to think more of himself than it is necessary to think, but to think so as to have a sound mind, each one as God has given to him a measure of faith.
    (Philippians 2:3, 4) Do nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with humility consider others superior to you, 4 as you look out not only for your own interests, but also for the interests of others. This post was edited by texasescimo at April 7, 2018 12:36 PM MDT
      April 7, 2018 12:19 PM MDT

"You seem intelligent"---lol.  If you just came to that conclusion, that's the longest I've ever known it to take for someone to figure that out---I've been told is usually takes about 5 minutes.

I am aware of the rest of what are called the deadly sins as well, and while I have no particular expectation of being at risk for any specific one or even all of them, I am aware that I may be tempted at any time.

And while you seem to think I may be susceptible to the temptation of "pride," I see seeds of such a temptation already existing in you based on your statement that "I  (i.e.,"you") don't generally make strong assertions about things I am ignorant of."  What you are most ignorant about is the role of the Catholic church that God established and its role over time.  And pointing out the failing of the individual humans---popes included---that failed to live up to their responsibilities is hardly a meaningful argument against God's purpose in so using them in His "economy of salvation."  

And the best defense against pride is humility---true humility, not false humility.  And at this age and the knowledge that I possess, I claim the  status of an independent contributor.  

What that means for those who read what I write is that your (impossible?) mission, should you choose to accept it, is that I require you to deal with the fact that I am either right or wrong in what I post; and to accept that I am no more likely to be right or wrong by having added or omitted quotes from other sources, including but not limited, to the bible.

If and when you find the "pearl of great price," you will understand what I am talking about.

Aristotle said that the human mind is "a machine for coming to conclusions." I have put much time and effort and personal wrestling with God and His creation to be confident that I have, through His grace attained a valued view of both Him, His creation, and how He works in my life.

I have graduated from the personal academy that God established for me and to which I accepted His invitation to attend.  The curriculum was tailored to my place and time in the universe, and now it is time for me to share my knowledge with those to whom He has given the grace to hear what I have to say.  I hope to always continue to learn, but is like continuing education rather that formal training which would require all of my time and not allow for my teaching. 

You talk much about God, but I never see any hints of what your personal relationship with Him (I am assuming you are actively pursuing such a relationship) has gained for you.  (And, no, I don't want to be a Christ in my own universe as some bible interpreters think.)

And of course, any quotations you cite have as much potentially applicability to you as you think they do to me.

Edit:  addded a space between 2 paragraphs This post was edited by tom jackson at April 9, 2018 4:16 PM MDT
      April 7, 2018 1:24 PM MDT

You really should give a little bit of merit to the scriptures rather than traditions you were brought up in. Learn about God and God's Son.
    (2 Timothy 3:16) All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness,
    (Romans 15:4) For all the things that were written beforehand were written for our instruction, so that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope.
    (Mark 7:13) Thus you make the word of God invalid by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like this.”

(John 10:34-36) Jesus answered them: “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said: “You are gods”’? 35 If he called ‘gods’ those against whom the word of God came—and yet the scripture cannot be nullified— 36 do you say to me whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?
    (John 14:28) You heard that I said to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I am.
    (John 17:3) This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
    Ya don't see me making much comments on the chronicles of narnia. I know nothing about it kinda like your knowledge of the Bible yet you persist in talking as if you have read it.
    Several of your answers seem to put yourself upon a pedestal. 
    (Job 37:24) Therefore, people should fear him. For he does not favor any who think that they are wise.”
    (Proverbs 3:7) Do not become wise in your own eyes. Fear Jehovah and turn away from bad.
    (Romans 12:16) Have the same attitude toward others as toward yourselves; do not set your mind on lofty things, but be led along with the lowly things. Do not become wise in your own eyes.
      April 7, 2018 3:12 PM MDT

Another example of your errors based on unwarranted assumptions---it would be better if they were limited to your interpretation of the bible.

In that case you would at least have the option of tying a millstone around your neck and taking a swim.

But if you eventually repent your errors, the following should comfort you:

Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear. (Isaiah 59:1-2) 
      April 7, 2018 3:25 PM MDT

No assumptions. You admit you were raised in your Church although claiming to do a little soul searching later to find out you were right all along. It's obvious from our threads that you have not read the Bible and have no regard for the Bible as you rely on later teachers and teachings in opposition to the Bible.

Rather than declaring yourself to have superior knowledge and then vacating threads where the Bible is the subject, you should try seeing what the scriptures say and reason on it.

(Acts 17:2) So according to Paul’s custom he went inside to them, and for three sabbaths he reasoned with them from the Scriptures,
    (Acts 17:11) Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·niʹca, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

April 7, 2018 3:55 PM MDT

So according to Paul’s custom he went inside to them, and for three sabbaths he reasoned with them from the Scriptures. 

I agree. That was necessary because Christ explained to the apostles in private how what had been and what would be written in the bible were to be interpreted by those who either present to hear the words or who were familiar with the promise of a Messiah.  Christ spoke in parables and the apostles explained them further, explaining the deeper meanings that Christ entrusted to the Church He founded.

In other words, Paul and the other apostles explained what the bible was actually saying to the early Christians.  (The fact that we gentiles had to be taught with parables was an acknowledgement of our limitations---and Christ's church was the solution.)

Christ is the alpha and the omega.  The bible is not.

It would seem you worship the bible rather than God. 

I see no indications that you would recognize Christ if He were sitting next to you and waiting for the 4 horsemen to arrive---you have constructed Him in your own image, ignoring all else that He has caused to be revealed since He was present physically around 2000 years ago.

One of the principles one learns when learning to drive is to "Drive your own car."  That's good advice.  I suggest you worry more about your destination than mine.

Edit:  Added"   It would seem you worship the bible rather than God

This post was edited by tom jackson at April 7, 2018 4:51 PM MDT
      April 7, 2018 4:46 PM MDT

Who do you worship since you do not worship the God of the Bible nor read His word? I read the Bible so I can worship God the way he wants instead of what suits me.

Who's the Alpha and Omega?
    https://yahushua.net/scriptures/rev1.htm
    Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith YHWH, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty

https://biblehub.com/aramaic-plain-english/revelation/1.htm
    Rev 1:8 I am The Alap and The Tau*, says THE LORD JEHOVAH God, he who is and has been and is coming, The Almighty.

https://www.eliyah.com/Scripture/
    Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith , which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

See if you can get the sense of this:

(John 16:25-17:3) “I have spoken these things to you in comparisons. The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in comparisons, but I will tell you plainly about the Father. 26 In that day you will make request of the Father in my name; in saying this, I do not mean that I will make request for you. 27 For the Father himself has affection for you, because you have had affection for me and have believed that I came as God’s representative. 28 I came as the Father’s representative and have come into the world. Now I am leaving the world and am going to the Father.” 29 His disciples said: “See! Now you are speaking plainly and are not using comparisons. 30 Now we know that you know all things and you do not need to have anyone question you. By this we believe that you came from God.” 31 Jesus answered them: “Do you believe now? 32 Look! The hour is coming, indeed, it has come, when each one of you will be scattered to his own house and you will leave me alone. But I am not alone, because the Father is with me. 33 I have said these things to you so that by means of me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation, but take courage! I have conquered the world.” 
    17 Jesus spoke these things, and raising his eyes to heaven, he said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your son so that your son may glorify you, 2 just as you have given him authority over all flesh, so that he may give everlasting life to all those whom you have given to him. 3 This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
      April 26, 2018 4:23 PM MDT

Well I have pretty much gone my own way in life and never could count very much on the good opinions of others.  Who mostly don't care about me and are just running their own numbers.  But its good to know that there are at least a few people who think I';m wonderful.   For whatever reasons. 
      April 6, 2018 5:10 AM MDT

We all like to know that there a couple of people in our corner. :)
      April 6, 2018 7:41 AM MDT

I'm in yours sweetie! :):):)
      April 8, 2018 2:45 AM MDT

Yes, you are, and I've got your back.  Happy Monday, Rosie. :)
      April 9, 2018 6:13 AM MDT

Welcome home my friend! All went well I trust? Thanks for touching base. I was thinking about you. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday L. Wonder what wonders D.C.- wise are in store for us THIS WEEK? Oy vey and goodness gracious! Bet you can hardly wait too! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 9, 2018 10:56 AM MDT
      April 9, 2018 6:41 AM MDT

Thanks.  I had a good time.  I can't wait to see what this week's circus acts will be.  :)
      April 9, 2018 6:48 AM MDT

Of course you know by know that Michael Cohen's office and home was invaded without notice  by the New York southern district Feds on Monday! They got a warrant to take all records, computers, cell phones, emails. The charges are BANK FRAUD, WIRE FRAUD and I think obstruction of justice. Thursday goofydoofylucy threw Cohen under the bus and Monday the feds pounced. Mueller uncovered some info that was out of his scope of investigation and tossed it over to the New York attorneys to act upon. This is BIG. We shall see if goofydoofylucy fires Sessions, fires Rosenstein, hires a new AG who fires Mueller today. I wouldn't put it past him. Then we are in a Constitutional Crisis and I wonder what, if anything, Congress will do. Roll over or start impeachment? When the Dems regain the majority in the House that's first on the agenda. IMPEACH! Thank you for your reply L and Happy Tuesday! :)
      April 10, 2018 3:12 AM MDT

I imagine Trump must be absolutely livid over this.  Not good for a man his age in his condition.  He could have a stroke.  Happy Tuesday. :)
      April 10, 2018 1:51 PM MDT

You do. 
      April 9, 2018 10:54 AM MDT

Thank you.  I would rather have a few true friends than a host of acquaintances. :)
      April 9, 2018 4:17 PM MDT

I'll take zero for $400, Alex.
      April 6, 2018 11:51 AM MDT