Active Now

Randy D
Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » Walmart is going to deliver groceries. Will this help them compete against Amazon?

Walmart is going to deliver groceries. Will this help them compete against Amazon?

Will be a free of approx $10 Amazon is $5.99. But Walmart will be same day.
Will you use it?

Posted - April 11, 2018

Responses

Definitely... We use Peapod (Giant) now and sometimes we're not satisfied ...  Time to try something new, if available in our area.   10$ f_ee. This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at April 11, 2018 5:36 PM MDT
      April 11, 2018 7:55 AM MDT

I have never had groceries delivered...it is a strange thought to me.
      April 11, 2018 5:37 PM MDT

Some circumstances require different strokes...   We 'don't get around much anymore'..song lyrics.
      April 11, 2018 6:13 PM MDT

Never. I like shopping for food and always get what I want and I am a label reader. I am very picky with produce.
      April 11, 2018 8:11 AM MDT

We did the same (58 years) until recently... This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at April 11, 2018 7:14 PM MDT
      April 11, 2018 8:32 AM MDT

Prob better pick your own then.
      April 11, 2018 5:38 PM MDT

• I have no interest in grocery delivery. I prefer to pick out my own food, especially when it comes to produce. In fact, I get a lot of my stuff from the farmer's market when it's around. 
      April 11, 2018 9:33 AM MDT

We have a family owned produce market nearby. During the season they get locally grown fruits/veggies. I can't wait for those Indiana muskmelons.
      April 11, 2018 11:48 AM MDT

I have never had them delivered either. 
      April 11, 2018 5:38 PM MDT

No. Our family like to shop themselves, even if it is a bot frustrating at timees. Tht way we get what we want, not what is the most expensive.
      April 11, 2018 10:16 AM MDT

I have not either for groceries. Yes when shopping it is easier to bargain hunt in store.
      April 11, 2018 5:42 PM MDT

probably not, but it will generate some jobs.
      April 11, 2018 10:48 AM MDT

Jobs are good.
      April 11, 2018 5:42 PM MDT

If it's an emergency and my vehicle is not running, yes, otherwise, no. 
      April 11, 2018 11:08 AM MDT

Would be good for that or maybe people who don't drive. 
      April 11, 2018 5:43 PM MDT

I already use Wal-Mart's grocery pickup service, which is free. I order online and pick up at the store. Sometimes the substitutions are a little odd. Like, last time, I ordered veggie noodles and they gave me protein noodles instead because they were out of what I wanted, when really, they could have given me another brand of veggie noodles and it would have made more sense. You always have the option of pre-selecting no substitutions or declining a substitution, but if I had, then I couldn't make spaghetti, so that would have stunk. :/ I've never had an issue with any of the produce their shoppers have picked for me- they always get the good stuff. It's typically chosen well and packaged carefully. 

I'm a huge fan of the service because it saves me an hour or two in the store, which is awesome by itself, but I also have kids and don't like shopping with them because we buy too much- usually I come up with new meal combos and stuff. They're usually good about things- like I'll tell them they can pick one treat and if they go into "I have to have this other item or I will die" mode, I tell them they have to give up their first item and they do it no problem. But, they inevitably get thirsty, hungry, tired, and moody when we shop, and so it's much better to stay out of the store. We're happier and I spend less.

As far as the delivery option goes, I wouldn't use that in either case. I still haven't signed up for Amazon Prime. I don't "need" it enough to justify the costs. And, if I order early enough in the day, I can still do same-day pickup at Wal-Mart. 

That being said, I think Amazon and Wal-Mart are trying to attract different audiences. Amazon went the Whole Foods route. I think they're going for a demographic that wants premium solutions, while Wal-Mart will typically appeal to the budget-conscious. I'll never get Wal-Mart prices from Amazon and I'll never get premium quality from Wal-Mart. I genuinely don't see these services as competing to begin with. It'll be traditional grocery stores that fight more with Amazon. I know my local Safeway is now doing delivery as well. I doubt they can compete with Amazon, but they may retain some of their customers that way. 

This is probably going to sound odd, but I research how shopping habits are changing for one of my writing projects. Retailers and grocers really don't have any choice but to have both online and offline offerings if they're going to stay open at all. I think it was TESCO in an Asian country that put virtual grocery shelves in a subway, so commuters could "shop" and have their order delivered at home later. TESCO also tried to make Fresh and Easy markets work here, but we just aren't geared toward less- we want more. We're seeing a lot of grocery stores add in extra shops as well- like banks and coffee shops. Wal-Mart is ahead of the game in this respect too- they have all that plus nail salons, hair salons, portrait studios, and last time I was in... a dentist. That, I think, will be the game-changer for Wal-Mart. The day people can pop in for a service and order groceries for pickup when they're done... then, they will probably give Amazon a serious run for their money because Amazon cannot do that now. They don't have the physical presence.
      April 11, 2018 12:53 PM MDT

I have used in store pick up but never even thought about it for groceries...
    I have Amazon prime. I order alot for business and Christmas time. I have never used the prime pantry but I did look at it and for name brand food and things like  shampoo etc, the prices were competitive with Walmart. Walmart gets them with offering generic. 
    Our Walmart has a Subway, bank, haircuts, eye doctor...
    My main thought was going after the customer who arr already having their food delivered. 
      April 11, 2018 6:27 PM MDT

You could be right, but I really feel like they're two distinct demographic sets. At least they are here. The lines might blur more in other communities/ regions. 
      April 12, 2018 11:04 PM MDT

Walmart doesn't exist in Australia and Amazon doesn't do groceries (or much else yet, it's just getting started down here). I've used Coles and Woolworths home delivery when I was between cars. A little more expensive, but well worth it for those that don't drive.
      April 11, 2018 8:02 PM MDT

Would definately  for nondrivers or car problems. 
    We used to have a Woolsworth when I was a kid...are they still around in Australia?
      April 13, 2018 4:50 AM MDT

Woolworths Australia is a  separate entity from those overseas, it's owned by Wesfarmers. It's one of three major supermarket chains, the others being Coles and Aldi.
      April 13, 2018 9:45 AM MDT

Ok.
      April 13, 2018 10:19 AM MDT

No.  I can easily walk to the market for meat and fresh produce/dairy.  Everything else can be ordered online with no shipping charge. 
      April 11, 2018 9:22 PM MDT

• probably because amazon grocery deli is not yet available in my town :(
      April 12, 2018 11:09 PM MDT