Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Should free speech include FAKE APPS that put words in the mouths of folks who never said them? Should it?

Should free speech include FAKE APPS that put words in the mouths of folks who never said them? Should it?

The technology of fake words being shown/heard as if they were coming out of the mouths of people who never said them. A fake picture of a young girl allegedly tearing up a copy of the constitution was actually tearing up a  picture of  shooting range bullseye target. Folks believed what they saw and it was a complete FAKE but fed their hate of the anti-protesters so they swallowed it hook, line and sinker. Stupid fish. How convenient!  :(

Posted - April 19, 2018

Responses

Those new apps make fake things look pretty real (I seen that one with Obama). Maybe in the name of free speech they can't say you can't have them but there is technology that would instantly recognise that that video was edited with the app. So social media could put a warning that the video was edited. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at April 20, 2018 3:39 AM MDT
      April 19, 2018 9:58 AM MDT

Yeah sweetie that's the one I saw too and I was appalled! You know it's the liars and phonies who will utilize them 24/7. That's kinda what Cambridge Analytica did to FaceBook and totally corrupted the site and everything on it not to mention the 87 million accounts that were stolen and the info used to fix an election. I dunno Nanoose. Everywhere you look there's devious deceitful deceptive destructive and millions of folks worship/adore/support every lie without batting an eye. It's depressing. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Friday! :)
      April 20, 2018 3:42 AM MDT

It should not be illegal but the person should be allowed to sue for libel.

I do not want the gov deciding what is and is not news or newsworthy. We the people should be in charge of that...we don't want gov being able to shut down those who oppose it.
      April 19, 2018 10:27 AM MDT

I don't know if you have seen the Obama clip exhibiting what I just talked about m2c but it is scary and shocking and depressing. More reason to worry. SIGH. Just what we need. Thank you for your reply.
      April 20, 2018 3:44 AM MDT

Not sure which you are talking about but there are many examples of fake junk used by both sides.
      April 20, 2018 4:51 AM MDT