Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Families don't always agree politically. So what? Why should they? Does yours?

Families don't always agree politically. So what? Why should they? Does yours?

Posted - April 23, 2018

Responses

Indeed they don't. The "should"-question I tend not to answer, certainly when it comes to the pitfalls of politics.

In my case, many of the family are of the opinion that "our enemies" (not spoken so literally) will always despise us, and that we must therefore be defensive. Others and I hold that such an attitude must always lead to aggression. This post was edited by Danilo_G at April 23, 2018 7:50 AM MDT
      April 23, 2018 6:35 AM MDT

What I admire hugely are those couples whose politics are the opposite but handle the relationship calmly and thoughtfully. We are mostly homogenous in our politics. One of us is not and so we just don't discuss politics in his presence. No need to. Discussion can always wait for a later date and doesn't do a thing to change any situation. You don't deal in "should"? I do but I do understand those who prefer to avoid it. I also am a huge fan of WHAT IF.  Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee DG!:)
      April 23, 2018 7:53 AM MDT

Thank you, Rosie. I very much address the "should" concerning myself, but in other contexts generally feel it can cause people to get overly defensive, countering actual argument. Happy Monday to thee too!
      April 23, 2018 11:33 AM MDT

For me personally I resent it when people tell me "you should do that" or "you shouldn't do/say that". What I would never mind is if someone were to say "I WISH you would do that" or "I WISH you wouldn't do/say that". That I accept because I wish some folks wouldn't do/say some of the things they do either. When other folks set up templates for themselves they tend to want to make others live within them too. I'm gonna ask. You're welcome DG and Happy Tuesday to thee! :)
      April 24, 2018 3:28 AM MDT

Yes, my family is politically divided, which is why we don't discuss politics when we're all together.  Happy Monday, Rosie. :)
      April 23, 2018 10:57 AM MDT

There is actually just ONE of us whose politics differs and we don't discuss politics when he is in our midst either. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Tuesday! :)
      April 24, 2018 3:29 AM MDT

It used to be worse.  Before one of my sisters was divorced, her husband used to discuss politics at every family gathering and another brother-in-law with a opposite opinion would get into raging battles.  Made every holiday miserable.  No more.  Happy Wednesday. :)
      April 25, 2018 11:16 AM MDT

Wow! What a bore! How awful for the rest of you. Glad it's behind you L. Thank you for your reply! :)
      April 26, 2018 5:57 AM MDT

I'm glad it's behind me, too. :)  Happy Thursday. :)

April 26, 2018 10:06 AM MDT

Happy Friday m'dear! :)
      April 27, 2018 5:32 AM MDT

Happy Friday to you, Rosie. :)
      April 27, 2018 9:12 AM MDT

Everyone in my family are pretty much on the same page as far as politics and the big orange monster.
      April 23, 2018 11:00 AM MDT

Funnee hunnee! Geez I wonder about whom the "big orange" refers? Thank you for your reply Zack and Happy Tuesday! :)
      April 24, 2018 3:30 AM MDT

My family is usually divided but this year we are all united and support President Trump. 
    We always discuss it, regardless we know we love and respect each other even when we don't agree.
      April 23, 2018 11:29 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Tuesday to thee.
      April 24, 2018 3:34 AM MDT

One of the answers drew me to this question.

The answer evoked an image of a family sitting on the deck of the Titanic singing Kumbaya after the iceberg incident..

I know there was a band there too, but I couldn't hear them.

And I am having a hard time trying to stop laughing.
      April 23, 2018 12:28 PM MDT

Don't stop my friend. Keep laughing. You can't stay angry when you laugh. You can't be sad when you laugh. Laughter drives away the doom gloom sad bad if only temporarily. SIGH. We live from moment to moment don't we? Everything is temporary though some things are more temporary than others. Laughter is the best medicine. As my Armenia-born grandmother would say "keep 'er up". I say so to you tom. "Keep 'er up". Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      April 24, 2018 3:34 AM MDT

I meant to look this up the other day---It gave me another chuckle:

Nearer my God to Thee---Popular Hymn written in the 1850's, most famously known as the last song played by the Titanic's band, as the steam liner sank beneath the waves of the Atlantic Ocean.
      April 26, 2018 1:37 PM MDT

It was very DRAMATIC for sure. My choice would have been AMAZING GRACE. I love that song and can't get through it without tearing up. My brother-in-law is now nearing 80. My sister-in-law and I gave him a 50th birthday party at which all the kids and my mom were present. Toward the end of the party he got his guitar, played Amazing Grace and we all sang. Every single one of us. I shall never forget it. It isn't that we are that "religious" or churchgoing. But there is something about that song that is so beautiful and hopeful. I bet even Atheists have sung it! Thank you for your reply tom! :)
      April 27, 2018 4:34 AM MDT

• We talk political issues, social issues, cultural issues, money, death and taxes. We get along famously because most of the time we're discussing how right we are and how wrong the so called "progressive" left is.
      April 26, 2018 2:57 PM MDT