Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do you really want to live longer if you have to eat bland, heart-healthy food?

Do you really want to live longer if you have to eat bland, heart-healthy food?

Try fat-free, low salt New England clam chowder some time.  You'll wish you were dead.

Posted - April 25, 2018

Responses

Hi Whitehair~ I just used pink fine grained Himalayan Salt but moments ago on my eggs. :)  It is one of the things in life that IS nutritious and delicious all at the same time.  I totally agree :) :)
      April 28, 2018 2:20 PM MDT

• Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      April 28, 2018 2:23 PM MDT

Our tastes are formed by what we have become accustomed to.  Years ago I was introduced to healthy eating by a boyfriend and at the time didn't taste like much to me. But I became healthier and happier and I remembered most that part of it. So what I learned was gradually affecting how I approached life and food.   And eventually, twenty years later, I was ready for that.  Some foods bang us over the nead with taste, others are more subtle.  As I was learning to eat whole grains I realized the more I chewed them the more tasty they became - even to the extant of reminding me of completely different kinds of food.  So took me a few years but eventually I was able to change most of my tastes and desires toward a more health bill of fare.  What I would like to mention is you need to come up with new dishes you like with healthier foods rather than trying to "replace" something not so healthy with something healthy.  Clam chowder of the new England variety depends on either dairy or salt pork so you are better off letting it go entirely and using your clams to make, for instance, clam cakes or clam fritters.  After twenty years I am still attracted to fried fish and seafood which I still do allow myself to enjoy on occasion.  But mostly have trained myself to look forward to healthy food that I have learned to enjoy. 
      April 29, 2018 8:31 AM MDT