Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » An unanswerable question. Why are the ridges of your fingernails vertical and those on your toenails hoizontal?

An unanswerable question. Why are the ridges of your fingernails vertical and those on your toenails hoizontal?

Posted - May 3, 2018

Responses

It's quite simple actually... how would you be able to distinguish between the two if both sets of nails had ridges all going in the same direction?

This post was edited by bevo at May 3, 2018 1:25 PM MDT
      May 3, 2018 11:04 AM MDT

Actually horizontal ridges on nails is not a good sign. You may want to get that checked out. Could be nothing but also could be a warning signal.

Horizontal toenail ridges may be a sign of injury, underlying disease, or in rare cases, arsenic poisoning.

https://www.seattlefootdoctor.com/blog/2014/september/toenail-ridges-what-do-they-mean-/
      May 3, 2018 11:42 AM MDT

Well, I did lose both my big toenails to frostbite years ago.
      May 3, 2018 1:27 PM MDT

That could be it. 
      May 3, 2018 2:06 PM MDT

• Yeah, I'm seeing vertical on both here (yes I had to check). 
      May 3, 2018 12:12 PM MDT

One is a vitamin E deficiency, the other is an iron deficiency. Protein deficiency causes poorly shaped nails. If you would study some books about nutrition you would know stuff like that, or at least know to look it up when you need it. 

Example: I was hospitalized twice with a belly ache. Doctors had no clue. The third time it struck, I knew a few things. I knew that this was a muscle spasm and magnesium relaxes muscles spasms. I took a dose of epsom salts and in ten minutes it was all over. (Doctors have no training in nutrition.)
      May 3, 2018 2:44 PM MDT

The ridges on nails aren't specific to fingers or toes.  If yours are different you may be receiving two different messages about possible problems with your organs.  Read about this.  You know how to research.
      May 3, 2018 2:56 PM MDT

not sure why, never noticed it
      May 14, 2018 5:43 PM MDT