Active Now

my2cents
Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Fashion » Men's sizes?

Men's sizes?

Why aren't men who are obese and big considered plus size gentlemen?
Why is it that only ladies can be described this way? I feel like men are given a pass when it comes to their weight.
I want to start a new trend of calling men plus sized.

Posted - June 27, 2016

Responses

I'm not sure there are a lot of women who want to be referred to as Extra Extra Large or as Big & Tall or as Husky or as Stocky.

All of those are attributed to men.

:|
      June 27, 2016 5:52 AM MDT

You don't have to apologize; sarcasm is allowed.

~
      June 27, 2016 6:06 AM MDT

• Men aren't given a pass.  It's just that women's fashion is more of a big business than men's .. so they need a fancy schmancy name for bigger sizes.  Men's are usually called "Big and Tall"   Everyone knows what that means.

June 27, 2016 6:12 AM MDT

• Nah. Apology not accepted... we haven't had a good stoning in a long time lol
    :)

June 27, 2016 6:43 AM MDT

Lol.

~
      June 27, 2016 7:11 AM MDT

I think it's because women don't generally want to be called "big." When you hear the term "big man," it doesn't have the same connotation- he's masculine, many, or large. None of those sound bad. Call a woman "big" and you'd better be ready for a fight. "Plus" is a gentle term. Some companies just call them "Womens" sizes and don't attach a "Plus" name to it or even use the standard sizing. A 1x is a 1 and so on. I think most brands try to be sensitive to body types, with the exception of the Abercrombie and Fitch CEO, who made some very harsh remarks a few years back.

June 27, 2016 12:30 PM MDT
  • Bez

I don't know. Double standards have always been as much a mystery to me as the Bermuda Triangle.

June 27, 2016 12:35 PM MDT
  • Bez

I don't get it, JA. Since big women are often more attractive than smaller or skinnier ones, why would they resent being called "big"? Could you possibly enlighten me on this (and other) sexist double standards? I've wondered about it since I was 12 (or possibly even younger than that) and it still continues to boggle my mind.

June 27, 2016 12:37 PM MDT

Never been to the "big and tall" stores for men? Or seen anything marked "husky" size? What do you mean men are give a "pass" on their weight, anyway?

June 27, 2016 12:54 PM MDT

June 27, 2016 12:55 PM MDT

There are pockets of people throughout the world where people find larger women to be more beautiful. I read some studies on it and it tends to be rural areas, especially those that have historically had food shortages. In these cases, a more robust woman would be a better choice to reproduce with, which is why men may well find them more attractive. 

In most industrialized nations, food isn't an issue, so thin became "in." I have friends in other countries who call me "big" and they equate it with beautiful, but when an American man says it, it's an insult. 

June 27, 2016 1:02 PM MDT
  • Bez

It's definitely not only in rural areas, I am an urban guy and I prefer larger women. So do several of my equally urban friends. It's not necessarily because they are better to reproduce with either. I find big women attractive for other reasons, definitely related to physical attraction but not reproduction.

Why is it more of an insult when an American man says it? I didn't realise American men were such sexist weirdos, at least not until I discovered sites like this one and AB, I didn't. In the days when I only had the movies upon which to judge Americans I formed positive views on them. Why do you think that is, JA? Is it because Hollywood likes to glamourise America in the movies to such an extent that it pushes out the negative aspects of it (such as male chauvinist piggery, for example) and focuses only on the appealing aspects? I now very much suspect that to be the case. Lol:)

June 27, 2016 1:11 PM MDT

•   June 27, 2016 1:14 PM MDT

• American chauvinistic piggery, yeah, what's your point?, you talk like it's a bad thing.

June 27, 2016 1:20 PM MDT

My comment was regarding ingrained thought processes and perceptions over generations, which has nothing to do with where you live now.

Here's one study that examines the concept: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4141791/ but there are literally thousands. A lot of them discuss the possibility that heavier women are perceived as being more beautiful in places where food shortages have historically been an issue, though societal beliefs could certainly have a part in it nowadays as well.

I don't think it has anything to do with Hollywood. Here in the US, food isn't an issue, so there's no biological benefit to a woman carrying around extra pounds. In other parts of the world, a few extra pounds could mean that the woman will have healthier offspring and has access to resources, so she would be a more attractive mate. 

People calling upon their "primal" instinct has nothing to do with chauvinism. It's no different than me having a preference for men with  body hair. I just like it. It's not a dig on men who don't have it. There are plenty of people who dislike body hair. There's a whole industry designed to help people get rid of it for life. (So sad.) So, yes, if a guy here says "She's big," he's probably saying it because he doesn't find her attractive. Somewhere else, it's a complement because the guy does find it attractive. Again, the same thing could be said for chest hair. Step into adultMug and ask about chest hair, and you'll have women like me who start drooling (lol) and others who say "ewww...." 

It's a good thing we're all attracted to different things. It ensures diversity of the species, no?

If I had more time, I'd start looking for scientific articles that explain my fascination with chest hair. lol There's probably a reason for it. I bet it has something to do with my ancestors hailing from a cold climate. Meh. Research for another day.

June 27, 2016 2:13 PM MDT

• Let's shame them all.

June 27, 2016 2:18 PM MDT