Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are people innately bad/mean/cruel/evil? Is that why they need a God/rules to live by because on their own they would murder one another?

Are people innately bad/mean/cruel/evil? Is that why they need a God/rules to live by because on their own they would murder one another?

Why does good only derive from God?  Why is that burden or accolade given only to Him? Do we not have the ability to think about what makes sense and what doesn't? Doesn't it make sense to extend a helping hand to others so that if you need a helping hand they will be more apt to extend theirs? Is working together mutually beneficially and fighting one another mutually destructive? Isn't that just plain old common sense? If not what is it?

Posted - May 16, 2018

Responses

I don't think people are innately good or evil, I think it depends on how they're raised. Not all people believe in God either, and non-religious people aren't automatically evil, we have morals too.
      May 16, 2018 8:59 PM MDT

Personally I think morality or im has zero to do with religion  or God or Jesus or clergy or the Pope or Mohammed or Buddha. I think most sane logical people know right from wrong. They don't need a God or a biblical passage or a human being who represents God to instruct them. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday. This post was edited by RosieG at May 17, 2018 5:50 AM MDT
      May 17, 2018 5:20 AM MDT

Essentially yes.  Though that is really an oversimplification.  God gives us what we need to look our for ourselves but if that is all we do then we become shallow and selfish.  So God gave us His teachings through The Bible where we learn, with the help of His holy Spirit, to value our neighbors as we do ourselves.  Because God loves all of His Creation. 
      May 17, 2018 5:26 AM MDT

I was raised Christian but became atheist/non-believer some years ago and so before I commit any atrocities I still always think 'would God want me to do this if He existed'?

Probably not. 

So then I pack up my guns and bombs and go home.

Wouldn't you think if there was a loving God creator He should be doing all in His power to bring happiness for His creation?  This post was edited by Kittigate at May 17, 2018 8:39 AM MDT
      May 17, 2018 8:28 AM MDT

I think He is doing all in His power to bring happiness for His creation---but He gave everybody free will, and some remain intractable and refuse to cooperate with Him..

May 17, 2018 3:11 PM MDT

For years now I have managed to keep my gal friend happy without too much extraordinary effort and my cat  happy as well so I might think God with all His wisdom and supernatural powers should be able to achieve  successful efforts for mankind  to become cooperative and find happiness regardless of free will,  stubbornness,  whatever. This post was edited by Kittigate at May 18, 2018 10:37 AM MDT
      May 18, 2018 10:34 AM MDT

Dig deeper and see what the Bible says about it.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102005141?q=%22Why+Does+God+Allow+Suffering%22&p=par

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102005141?q=%22Why+Does+God+Allow+Suffering%22&p=par
      May 18, 2018 7:16 AM MDT

Man was not created with the intention or ability to completely govern himself.

Since Adam and Eve chose to do things there way and decide for themselves what was good and bad, mankind has inherited imperfection and death. Most people want peace and security but don't have a clue how to achieve it. Most wars, both sides think that they are right. Most political affiliations, both sides think theirs is right.

As it is, Jehovah has given man over 6,000 years to try to come of with a government without too much interference from him. What has been the result? Aren't people all too often bad/mean/cruel/evil? On their own and trying to do what they think benefits themselves, aren't there too many murders? 
      May 18, 2018 7:23 AM MDT