Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Are Jehovah's Witnesses now allowed to attend Catholic services?

Are Jehovah's Witnesses now allowed to attend Catholic services?

Posted - May 19, 2018

Responses

I believe that is a conscience matter. I've been to funeral services in Churches for friends and family. 

It is my understanding that although she was raised as a JW, she and her sister Venus were neither one ever baptized as Jehovah’s Witnesses but still share those beliefs. I was inactive for 3 years. Although I wasn't counted as a JW and I wasn't witnessing about God and Jesus, if someone asked what religion I was, to keep it simple, I may have answered JW as what they teach is what I believe even though I wasn't acting on it.

EDIT:
    https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002366?q=%22Would+it+be+advisable+for+a+true+Christian+to+attend+a+funeral+or+a+wedding+in+a+church%22&p=par This post was edited by texasescimo at May 31, 2018 10:57 PM MDT
      May 19, 2018 1:32 PM MDT

If a JW has been baptized, is he allowed to attend a service in the Catholic church or other denomination ?

I know a JW, an Elder, who did not enter a Catholic church during a mass or service for his own mother-in-law. He waited outside. I also have a long distance in-law-relative who did not attend a Baptist service for his own niece when she got married, but attended the reception.
      May 19, 2018 6:55 PM MDT

Don't know what more I can say to help you besides my original answer and the link.
      May 19, 2018 7:35 PM MDT

Your link to Watchtower instructions tells you that taking part in any form of false religion is displeasing to Jehovah and must be avoided. 

Ephesians 4:1 I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift.

How can there be unity in the body of Christ if there is only opposition, denial, division, and refusal, in the same body of Christ? As long as there are false prophets, apostates of their original doctrine, bringing opposition, denial, division, and refusal with their own interpretations of scriptures, there will never be unity in the body of Christ. 

During the wedding service of Prince Harry and Meghan, the Episcopal Church and the Catholic Church were united, but their were still signs of opposition, denial, division, and refusal. Will there ever be any tolerance in the body of Christ?
      May 21, 2018 5:10 AM MDT

I have no idea what your point is. 
      May 21, 2018 3:32 PM MDT

In the time of Jesus, there was only one vision through him for all who are now known as Christians. There were no varieties of Christians in the time of Jesus. There were no Jehovah's Witness, Protestants, or Baptists, then.

John 14:6
    Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Many acts and rituals, were not from the way of Christ. Taking part of any other form of false religion, would have been an act which was not through the way of Christ. Any religion, in the body of Christ is within the way of Christ. Taking part in any form of another religion, not in the body of Christ, is displeasing to Christ. Anyone who worships the creator, through his own prophet, in the way of their prophet, is not displeasing to the creator. It is displeasing to the prophet, against his teachings. "Taking part in any form of false religion is displeasing to Jehovah and must be avoided", like your Watchtower teaches, is one's choice. Attending a different Christian service, in the body of Christ, through the teachings of Christ and not taking part, is not displeasing to the prophet and it is not displeasing to the same God. However, it would be displeasing to the mind controlling group of Board of Directors at the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society.

My vision in the last post was "tolerance". The vision in this post is "evolution", as the way of Christ seems to evolve. As long as religions, such as JW's, keep searching for a light to get brighter, through reviewing and revising scriptures to an different meaning, there will always be an evolution in the body of Christ.

May 22, 2018 5:05 AM MDT

Quite a conglomeration of stuff you have there. Still not quite following what you are saying other than a jab at the Watchtower. 
    Not everyone claiming to be Christian is actually following Christ.

"Taking part in any form of another religion, not in the body of Christ, is displeasing to Christ." I would agree
    "Anyone who worships the creator, through his own prophet, in the way of their prophet, is not displeasing to the creator." I would disagree

Can you condense your point or if there are many, perhaps narrow it down to one in this comment?

May 22, 2018 6:07 AM MDT

No worry, tex. Just a set of circumstances that surround a particular situation.
      May 22, 2018 4:19 PM MDT

Let's try this.

1.) Each Christian denomination claims to have the true doctrine of Christ and all others' are false.
    T or F

May 23, 2018 4:57 AM MDT

True. There's one faith said Paul. If I thought someone else had it, I would preach that. 

(Ephesians 4:4-6) One body there is, and one spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

(John 8:32) and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
      May 23, 2018 5:17 AM MDT

Yes, there is one faith according to Jesus and everyone who follows "the way" of Jesus has the truth according to him. 
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

The Body of Christ is a common term used in the Christian faith. Some may initially think we are talking about the physical body of Christ, as in His human form on earth. But the term "Body of Christ" actually refers to the members of His church, throughout history (the way and the truth like he said). A Christian, then, participates in faith in the Body of Christ. 

During Prince Harry and Meghan's wedding, people from different denominations (including at least one Jehovah's Witness), united in faith, in the Body of Christ.
    T or F 
      May 23, 2018 5:11 PM MDT

Just because someone believes God's name is Jehovah and that JW's have the truth, doesn't make the a JW. (Mt 28:19-20;James 2:14-26)

According to the Bible, not everyone claiming to follow Christ is truly following Christ. Are all of those you mention united in mind and thought?

Are Islamic terrorist, Catholic NAZI's, Protestant KKK members, all part of the body of Christ as they all have some sort of belief in Jesus.

(Matthew 7:15-23) “Be on the watch for the false prophets who come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves. 16 By their fruits you will recognize them. Never do people gather grapes from thorns or figs from thistles, do they? 17 Likewise, every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear worthless fruit, nor can a rotten tree produce fine fruit. 19 Every tree not producing fine fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Really, then, by their fruits you will recognize those men. 21 “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’

(1 Corinthians 1:10) Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.
    (Romans 15:5, 6) Now may the God who supplies endurance and comfort grant you to have among yourselves the same mental attitude that Christ Jesus had, 6 so that unitedly you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    (2 Corinthians 13:11) Finally, brothers, continue to rejoice, to be readjusted, to be comforted, to think in agreement, to live peaceably; and the God of love and of peace will be with you.

(2 Peter 2:1-3) However, there also came to be false prophets among the people, as there will also be false teachers among you. These will quietly bring in destructive sects, and they will even disown the owner who bought them, bringing speedy destruction upon themselves. 2 Furthermore, many will follow their brazen conduct, and because of them the way of the truth will be spoken of abusively. 3 Also, they will greedily exploit you with counterfeit words. But their judgment, decided long ago, is not moving slowly, and their destruction is not sleeping.
      May 24, 2018 9:46 AM MDT

Islamic terrorists do not pray in the name of Jesus. Can't tell you how Catholic Nazis nor Protestant KKK practice their faith through the teachings of Christ.
    Worth thinking about.
      May 24, 2018 6:27 PM MDT

All religions should be respected and if a friend dies I think attendance at the funeral is a mark of respect for the person and religion should be no barrier.
      May 19, 2018 1:54 PM MDT

I know a JW, an Elder, who did not enter a Catholic church during a mass or service for his own mother-in-law. He waited outside. I also have a long distance in-law-relative who did not attend a Baptist service for his own niece when she got married, but attended the reception.
      May 19, 2018 6:56 PM MDT

Why would they want to? Boring.
      May 19, 2018 2:25 PM MDT

Boring? Ever sit in on a JW meeting?

May 20, 2018 4:35 PM MDT

Nevah.
      May 20, 2018 5:30 PM MDT

Attending a wedding or funeral etc is not the same a converting to another religion or denomination. If someone is a friend it should not be an issue of what religion the ceremony is from. 
      May 19, 2018 2:58 PM MDT

May 19, 2018 6:56 PM MDT

I'm sure no one asked Serena Williams to convert, before attending the wedding service in a Catholic church.
    I know a JW who did not enter a Catholic church for a funeral service for his mother-in-law. He also did not attend a non denominational wedding service for the daughter of a co worker, but attended the party event on the same property, later on.
    I guess they are only allowed to witness each other, not other religious events calling for and praising the same God.
      May 20, 2018 12:20 PM MDT

With him being an elder....he may have been worried about it being used against him. 
    I know a pastors wife who has said she will not allow a hostess to seat them next to the bar at a restaurant  because everyone has a camera on their phone these days and it would be too easy for someone to snap a picture and claim she and  the pastor were out getting drunk.  So perhaps he was worried about someone claiming the JW was attending a Catholic church service?
      May 20, 2018 2:37 PM MDT

Yeah, perhaps it's what ever you think and sounds like a good story.
      May 20, 2018 4:24 PM MDT

Just trying to think of a plausable reason.....as more than one person here has stated that they know JW have attended family ceremonies that were not JW ceremonies.

Sounds like the Watchtower does not forbid it but does not really encourage it either.

.https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2007850

This post was edited by my2cents at May 22, 2018 5:21 PM MDT
      May 20, 2018 4:36 PM MDT