Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » My doctor gave me beta blockers for anxiety. I’m a bit anxious about taking them. They alter the rhythm of your heart I think. Have you ever

My doctor gave me beta blockers for anxiety. I’m a bit anxious about taking them. They alter the rhythm of your heart I think. Have you ever

taken them? Are they safe?

Posted - June 10, 2018

Responses

I take Metoprolol twice a day after my heart attack. It does an excellent job regulating my heart rate, which, even when excercising, rarely goes above 85bpm. However, I have never heard of it being used as an anti-anxiety medication. Your best bet is to talk to a pharmacist, not a doctor.
      June 10, 2018 5:14 AM MDT

Thanks. I don’t have anything wrong with my heart and he said my blood pressure was normal. I thought he would give me anti depressants or benzodiazepines. I can’t see how messing about with my heart will help
      June 10, 2018 5:32 AM MDT

I always question the doctors about any new meds to test their knowledge, then I do the research, then I ask a pharmacist. I'm glad you asked, as you obviously are concerned. Most would just say "OK, doc." and take the meds.
      June 10, 2018 5:37 AM MDT

The trouble is that my research always ends up putting me off taking any medication. I told him I didn’t take the tablets he gave me last time and hes getting annoyed with me about it. If I tell him which medication I want he thinks I’m being a smartarse by undermining him. I don’t know why I bother going to see him
      June 10, 2018 5:45 AM MDT

I actually called my doctor a pill-pusher years ago. He didn't realize it and thanked me. I don't like giving advice, but if your doc was mine...I tell him to bugger off and I'd find a new one.
      June 10, 2018 5:50 AM MDT

I did have a good doctor but he moved away. I know they have a lot to deal with but they’re not always helpful This post was edited by Gypsyking at June 10, 2018 6:00 AM MDT
      June 10, 2018 5:53 AM MDT

I don't take western medicine because 
    of the side effects.
    For me Meditation works
    and it's free.
      June 11, 2018 5:05 PM MDT