Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » How do I safely get rid of a Hornets nest in the garage where my Parrot sleeps?

How do I safely get rid of a Hornets nest in the garage where my Parrot sleeps?

Posted - June 22, 2018

Responses

Yikes. Spray the nest then, have to parrot sty in the house for a day and night.
      June 22, 2018 12:50 PM MDT

My Parrot only SLEEPS in his cage, he is perched where ever I am in the house during the day. Ill have in stay over at my Room for a night to implement your excellent plan.. .. (said while smoking a corn pipe like Shirlock Homes.) ;D 
      June 22, 2018 5:14 PM MDT

call an exterminator
    they suit up and get them all.
    Don't attempt to do it yourself.
    They will attack you.
      June 22, 2018 3:33 PM MDT

Ok, I wont. This time. 

I got rid of all the hornets nests outside with a garden hose. Just blasted there fragile nests to smithereens with the water pressure. I didnt know they could attack me, so I guess I didnt draw any attention to myself by being afraid. I am afraid now, and will no longer be handling the hornet removal on my own from now on. lol ;)
      June 22, 2018 5:16 PM MDT

Put a big garbage bag in a large outdoor trash can that has a lid.  Pour a lot of pesticide into the bag.  Set the trash can under the nest.  With long pants and long sleeves on knock the nest into the trash can and immediately get the lid on it.  Slosh the poison around inside.  Just an idea.  If you have some help you might be able to throw a tarp around the nest and take it down and out the door that way.  Be careful. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at June 23, 2018 6:36 PM MDT
      June 22, 2018 6:20 PM MDT

If I was you I would put on lots of layers of clothing, good gloves and make some kind of hornet proof helmet Usually the best time to get rid of a nest is at night because their less active but maybe it won't be the case because it's in a garage. You don't have to spray the nest with poison (might even  be better  if you don't because your in a garage and the fumes might get to you). Get a good bag - like a potato sake  put it over the nest and use a big putty knife to scrape the next from the ceiling. Once you have your potato sake full of hornets you will have to do something with them you could be kind and take them at least 10  miles away from your house  and release them into the wilds  or you can have a tube of water ready and drown them Anyway be safe and cheers and happy weekend!      
      June 22, 2018 7:08 PM MDT

You could teach your parrot to swear at them. I understand family-oriented hornets absolutely abhor bad language and will simply not put up with it, and they'll leave.
      September 12, 2019 9:51 AM MDT