Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Why does my body temperature fluctuate so much at night?

Why does my body temperature fluctuate so much at night?

When I go to bed, I typically wear a T-shirt and underwear and have a thin comforter over me--I feel completely fine before falling asleep initially. Then what happens is I'll wake up in the middle of the night and be absolutely burning up. I'll be sweaty and uncomfortable and have to take my shirt off and often that isn't even enough. It makes little sense to me, especially as the temperature in the room has dropped by then. And often when I go back to sleep and wake up again in the late morning, I'll be cold from having taken my shirt off. What's with the changes?

Posted - June 26, 2018

Responses

That's just the way it goes.
    When we sleep our body temperature goes up so I sleep naked, it's better.
    Also cotton sheets are healthier for you then polyester.

Good luck.

June 26, 2018 9:32 AM MDT

I'd like to say 'manopause', but you're too young. Most of us experience the same. If it just started happening to you recently, there might be something going on. Go here for some possibilities.

https://www.activebeat.co/your-health/6-times-hot-flashes-arent-related-to-menopause/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=AB_GGL_US_DESK-SearchMarketing&utm_content=g_c_227546920049&cus_widget=&utm_term=hot%20flashes%20men&cus_teaser=kwd-125192370&gclid=CjwKCAjwyMfZBRAXEiwA-R3gMwmauhaZeiq2PjwPsQmKrZxY6lJKed1kHZwDODQAg9svJsYFjYETkBoCH9kQAvD_BwE This post was edited by Element 99 at June 26, 2018 11:38 PM MDT
      June 26, 2018 9:40 AM MDT

June 26, 2018 10:09 AM MDT

Nights sweats can be caused by medications, but if that's not the case, then I would have it checked out. For a young person, it could be a sign of some underlying illness or infection especially if you notice any other symptoms.
      June 26, 2018 11:35 AM MDT

The last time I remember that happening to me, it was during an especially stressful time.  It could have been the anxiety or, as JaneS says, the meds I was on at the time.  Just a thought.
      June 26, 2018 10:02 PM MDT

Skin temperature is normally 80F, but your body needs to be cooled no matter what, so you want the air temperature a little below that number. Then you want to regulate your temperature, so you pull a cover over you. It can be very light. Next, you sweat all the time, at least a little bit, and if the humidity around your body rises, you sweat more. Then you throw off the cover, without even waking up. If humidity in the room rises, you need to improve ventilation.

And all of this contributes to what we call "a good night's sleep".
      June 27, 2018 1:32 AM MDT

maybe you need to ask your doctor that question
      June 28, 2018 4:44 PM MDT