Active Now

my2cents
Randy D
Slartibartfast
Zack
Discussion » Questions » Family » why are children's voice so irritating?

why are children's voice so irritating?

All that high pitched whining!

Posted - August 13, 2016

Responses

• We have an instinctual emotional response

because children should not be ignored.

August 13, 2016 5:16 PM MDT

Unless you're talking about "the scream" emitted by prepubescent girls--a sound which I'm sure is fully capable of piercing 1/2 steel boilerplate--I really have no idea.  I don't find children's voices irritating.

Now, a baby's cry, on the other hand, can drive me up the wall!

August 13, 2016 5:33 PM MDT

The older you get ...the more annoying they are. I can only spend about an hour with my young granddaughters.

August 13, 2016 6:07 PM MDT

You are listening to children who have parents who do not know how not to be irritating themselves.

Children, when rasied properly and brought up healthy and happy, sound very sweet.

August 13, 2016 6:11 PM MDT

I love this question. Kids voices can very irritating! Especially the ones who insist on talking at the top of their voice or just have a high, screechy voice. On the other hand, little kids can have very sweet voices like no other age can.

August 13, 2016 6:29 PM MDT

It's their special ability, being annoying.

August 13, 2016 7:34 PM MDT

I was actually going to say this very same thing.

They've studied it... mostly with babies and the cries they make. It's ingrained in us to make it stop. Researchers believe that we're this way so that kids are tended to... ancient people would have run the risk of being eaten by predators or whatever if the kids persisted, so we're hardwired to silence it. Maternal instinct is to do this by providing care for the child, but, clearly, not everyone is maternal.

August 13, 2016 9:38 PM MDT

Evolutionary response. Next time you're irritated just deck the kid. 

August 20, 2016 7:56 PM MDT