Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Exploring in a cave is not my idea of fun. I'm claustrophobic. But for those who enjoy such adventures ever get scared?

Exploring in a cave is not my idea of fun. I'm claustrophobic. But for those who enjoy such adventures ever get scared?

Posted - July 8, 2018

Responses

Not as scared as I would being trapped in the dark with you.
      July 8, 2018 6:28 AM MDT

I never had too much trouble with claustrophobia until I had to crawl under some girders holding up a house. It was so tight that I had to pull myself along on my back rather than 'walk' on my knees. 
      July 8, 2018 7:31 AM MDT

Sounds very very scary scary. Were there lotsa creepy crawly critters too? Thank you for your reply b h! :)
      July 8, 2018 7:35 AM MDT

No. It was too new construction to have any creatures yet. 
      July 8, 2018 8:29 AM MDT

I don't understand that at all bh. Aren't the creepy crawly critters ALREADY THERE? Why would new construction cause them to migrate to that spot? As you can see I'm very ignorant about stuff like that. Can you educate me please? Thanks! :)
      July 8, 2018 9:50 AM MDT

I've been caving for over forty years, with a few spells of little activity, but physical ageing and some loss of nerve unfortunately hinders me now.

Yes - people who do go caving, climbing, etc. do find some things frightening - it's a natural response to a potentially hazardous situation that is not our natural environment. It makes you cautious so you learn to recognise the hazards and to assess their risks, so you don't take silly chances. Things can still go wrong, and I have been caught out, but at least you've minimised the expected risk as far as practicable without merely avoiding the challenge altogether.

Note I do differentiate between hazard and risk - they are not synonyms; and caves do not offer standard menus of natural obstacles, difficulties and hazards.

The secret is being able to control the fear so you can act rationally and calmly; so as to either overcome the fear to gain the reward of achievement; or to decide logically not to proceed further because the risks to yourself are higher that day.  

As for claustrophobia, I can certainly vouch for there being claustrophobia-inducing cave passages; but most of the time underground you are simply walking, not "crawling around" as a lot of non-cavers imagine it!
      July 9, 2018 10:51 AM MDT