Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Scandals/Accomplishments. Failures/Successes. Are they a good way to assess the measure of a man? If not what is a better measure?

Scandals/Accomplishments. Failures/Successes. Are they a good way to assess the measure of a man? If not what is a better measure?

Posted - July 9, 2018

Responses

By relationships with other people - whether family, professional or social.

In the end these are far more important than artificial "success" or "failure".
      July 9, 2018 10:53 AM MDT

As assessed by whom Durdle? Those in his/her favor or those out of favor? A despot dictator is wildly successful among those servicing him often because they want to be just like him. And wildly feared/hated by those he targets/attacks/assaults/insults/destroys. So who does the judging? The person who benefits or the one who doesn't? I dunno. I think kindness is the most important human trait. Much good flows from kindness. A murderous Mafia don is undoubtedly very kind and loving to his family. Is that how he is measured or is he measured by the folks he kills or orders others to kill? I know. Its complicated. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      July 10, 2018 2:58 AM MDT

Track records of success might be an indicator, failures less so, bankruptcies, ruined businesses, bad decisions, hiring then firing soon after.. those would indicate a bad track record.. 

Durdle is entirely correct though that how we treat people, how people we know feel about us is probably a more reliable measure of a man. 
      July 9, 2018 11:12 AM MDT

Thank you! One effect of the failures you describe, of course is that they drag others down with them - employees made redundant, suppliers losing trade, and the like.
      July 9, 2018 11:16 AM MDT

As I said to  Durdle. Who does the measuring? Can that be accurate or is it always based on prejudice, self-interest, personal exerience? If despot dictator or Mafia don is "kind loving" to family and a cutthroat murderer to "the enemy" which track record trumps which? We all wear different faces. Some faces are grotesque and evil. Others are the opposite. Who evaluates better?. The insider or the outsider? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply Addb! :)
      July 10, 2018 3:01 AM MDT

The bigger game you play the more you risk failure and the more public a game you play the more you risk scandal.  Many of us choose more to play it safe but we accomplish much less and we risk much less. 
      July 9, 2018 12:11 PM MDT