Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Besides the general malaise around the subject of death, would you particularly put upon if you had found a corpse?

Besides the general malaise around the subject of death, would you particularly put upon if you had found a corpse?

Posted - July 14, 2018

Responses

Well, back home murder is very rare of course. Over here, of course, the opposite is true, especially in certain localities, home to certain types of hominids with certain despicable anti-social tendencies - it's the way they were raised, it's what they know. The general population seems to more or less ignore the problem, whilst quietly protecting themselves as best they can - security cameras, motion detector lights, elaborate alarm systems, personal weaponry, overkill locks on doors and windows, emergency services on speed-dial, children accompanied at all times, etc. Yet at the end of the day, police seem helpless or unwilling to get to actually face the problem. It all seems to have become accepted as the norm - the sad fact your fellow human is out to take advantage of you, hurt or kill you as needs be, despoil your belongings and dishonor your loved ones, not to mention force you to bow down to his Gods whilst reviling your own.   
    Anyway, I had been here a matter of days when police shot a hostage in a car after a bank robbery, and a few days after that while heading over to the train station we stumbled on a resident of the complex dead and horribly mutilated (there are many ethnic gangs engaged in criminal activity and inter-gang rivalry around here. However, to be fair, back in those old days it was rare for a non-gangster to be targeted, now anyone is fair game).
    It is forty years since I arrived and I have by now seen enough corpses to overflow a good-sized dumpster. I have always felt the after-the-fact sobbing and hand-wringing seemed a little hollow, especially as it usually preceded a vicious and raucous fight over whatever the unfortunate left behind - but where were they when they could have made a difference? Well, at least sometimes we are providing hungry feral dogs and a variety of wildlife some meager benefit from round after round of bloody mayhem. I guess there is an overwhelming benefit to it all or it would just fizzle out like Scientology and steam trains. This post was edited by Clueless Dude at July 14, 2018 11:03 AM MDT
      July 14, 2018 10:59 AM MDT