Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » We used to have to go out to see movies, buy books, borrow books. Now we can do it at home alone. Isolation rocks/sucks?

We used to have to go out to see movies, buy books, borrow books. Now we can do it at home alone. Isolation rocks/sucks?

Electronic advancements are so convenient aren't they? It is no longer necessary to leave your home. Everything can be delivered to you via electronics or via mail/UPS/FEDEX. Hermits. Loners. The result of Progress. A good thing or not so hot? You have to go to the doctor or dentist. But everything else can be delivered to you. I suppose the billionaires have doctors/dentists on retainer who will come to them. I remember in the long ago olden days when I was a child our Dr. Heidenrock made house calls. Are any of you old enough to remember your doctor coming to your home?

Posted - July 16, 2018

Responses

• Our technical advances are damaging our ability to reach out and enjoy the give and take of interpersonal relationships. People sitting six feet apart in a room had rather text each other or send emails than engage in conversation. The result is a world with a population larger than at any time in history with more disconnected and lonely people than ever before. And yes, I remember house calls.
      July 16, 2018 5:38 AM MDT

So you totally understand what I'm talking about. Progress is a two-edged sword. Isn't everything? On the one hand it facilitates/enables us to do things more quickly and conveniently than we ever thought possible. On the other hand in so doing we become progressively more isolated from one another. SIGH. How do you stop an avalanche? You see the Tsunami coming and you are helpless to stop it so you are the one that has to adjust. Can you stop inevitable? I dunno. I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. We see eye-to-eye on this. Sad ain't it? Not seeing eye-to-eye but that the "this" is filled with such despair and loneliness? This post was edited by RosieG at July 16, 2018 6:22 AM MDT
      July 16, 2018 6:21 AM MDT

It not only isolates us as a society, it takes over having to use our brains.  We have artificial intelligence, we have self-driving cars, etc.  All of those technological advances mean we think less.  It is quite apparent that "common sense" is on the wane.  Every day we read stories about people killing themselves trying to take selfies.  People need to be told not to use electronics in the shower; advertisements for drug companies tell you not to use the medication if you are allergic to it - REALLY?  
      July 16, 2018 8:12 AM MDT