Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How can i keep my airbed from deflating at night?

How can i keep my airbed from deflating at night?

I've had to get rid of my bed and my couch cause of issues with bedbugs in my apt building. about 3 months ago i got rid of my couch and had nothing to sleep on so i went to walmart that afternoon and got me an airbed, I got one with a built in pump, it worked great for a while but now when i sleep at night it will deflate, not all the way which is nice since i have hip implants and would rather not have to get up from the floor all the time. and when i get up to go to the bathrm at night its lower than it was when i went to sleep. i find it annoying cause its not like i can blow it back up in the middle of the night cause my neighbors might complain since its loud, so i blow it up before i go to sleep. it didnt use to do that when i first got it. there is no holes in it, at least not that i know of. i cant get a regular bed cause if theyre still in the building they will nest on my mattress, i got the air bed on purpose so it couldnt do that and i  havent seen bugs in months cause of it.any suggestions on how to keep it from deflating?

Posted - July 18, 2018

Responses

It sounds defective. Take it back to the store.
      July 18, 2018 2:54 PM MDT

one of my neighbors showed me what i was doing wrong, i wasnt keeping the plug covered up in the hole and it was letting out air, its no deflating now so im hoping it stays that way
      July 18, 2018 4:21 PM MDT

I happen to have the same problem, and I looked this up this morning:
    https://3beds.com/how-to/finding-air-leaks/

My mattress is 19" think so it takes more than one night to go flat. That also means fitted sheets don't fit, so bedding has to be tied down.

This post was edited by Not Sure at July 18, 2018 4:22 PM MDT
      July 18, 2018 3:22 PM MDT

thats funny, ive had to cover up the hole where you put the plug in, my neighbor showed me how it was letting out a lot of air
      July 18, 2018 4:23 PM MDT

Pearl, you can get a regular mattress and buy a bedbug-proof cover to put over it. This is what I did after we had a problem in our building. The bedbugs cannot infest your mattress and the cover is very comfortable (not hard and plastic-y). Even if there are bedbugs again, your mattress will be fine.

If you can't find one in the stores, you can buy them on Amazon -make sure it states that it protects against bedbugs.  You will sleep much better in a real bed.
      July 18, 2018 3:45 PM MDT

i tried that , it didnt work
      July 18, 2018 4:23 PM MDT

Too bad. Because it works for everyone else.
      July 18, 2018 5:35 PM MDT

Covers sold in local store cost about twelve bux and they don't seem to stay together very long. I suggest buying from amazon so you can read reviews before you buy.

Get D.E. at any garden or hardware store. Also get the puffer used to spread it. Puff it right into your bedding.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=d.e.+bed+bugs
      July 18, 2018 8:18 PM MDT

JaneS has a great suggestion.

As far as the bedbugs themselves ... if the management hasn't taken care of the problem, check your state tenant laws regarding maintenance.  The states I have lived in have laws that allow you to hire a contractor to fix the problem, then deduct it from your rent payment(s).
    I would NOT put up with management refusing to immediately treat the problem!
      July 18, 2018 3:54 PM MDT

theyre not refusing to treat the problem, ive had my place heat treated and sprayed several times, and never had to pay a penny, they come around once a month to check and see if anyone is having any problems
      July 18, 2018 4:25 PM MDT

Take all the air out and it won't deflate.

July 18, 2018 7:07 PM MDT