Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Is sibling rivalry not always the case because if the fathers real screwed up the brothers are the glue?

Is sibling rivalry not always the case because if the fathers real screwed up the brothers are the glue?

Posted - July 21, 2018

Responses

Thats a fair assumption.
      July 21, 2018 7:11 AM MDT

Yes and no. It depends on how the parents behave and what the situation is like. In some cases, if all children are treated equally poorly, the kids unite. However, if one is treated less poorly or the kids are pitted against each other, it leaves lifelong scars.
      July 21, 2018 5:00 PM MDT

maybe
      July 21, 2018 5:35 PM MDT

Well I don't care to use terms like "screwed up" because we all have our own issues and shortcomings. Both my parents came to be unhappy with their lot in life , including each other, which they could not change because they saw themselves as successful enough in it that it became their strength as well as their trouble.  They turned to alcohol and drugs which  quite distanced them from my brothers and, especially, from me.  Which made them incapable of relating to us in many ways.  My older brothers carried on nobly as they were expected to do and were popular, smart, business-wise, and extremely successful so yes they did sort of hold the family up in their own ways.  I got into drugs and rebellion but much later was able to clean myself up and become successful as well though not as a business owner like my father and brothers but a corporate employee.  Don't recall any sibling rivalry among them or among all of us at any time and they have always been quite close and still are. 
      July 22, 2018 8:06 PM MDT

That is one possibility in as many possibles as there are snowflakes.

July 22, 2018 8:09 PM MDT