Active Now

Zack
Malizz
Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » According to TIME magazine and other sources there are more suicides during extremely high temperatures. I guess hot is more depressing?

According to TIME magazine and other sources there are more suicides during extremely high temperatures. I guess hot is more depressing?

What about extreme cold? I mean is dying of heat easier or harder than freezing to death? Either way it's no picnic. Would you rather melt to death or freeze to death?

Posted - July 25, 2018

Responses

I didn't know that. I had always assumed that suicide rates were higher in the winter.

I do not cope with extremes of temperature very well but I think I would adjust to hotter summers better than colder winters. In Britain we are in the middle of a heatwave right now and I'm loving it even though it's not fashionable to say so!
      July 25, 2018 5:05 PM MDT

Me too Rev. It's gloomier and rainier and one feels somewhat more isolated in winter. When the sun is out things just "seem" cheerier and more hopeful. Many years ago I saw a Twilight Zone (I think that's where I saw it) where it just started getting hotter and hotter and hotter. I think the sun was moving closer to the earth  and there was no escaping it. Now I know that was a fantasy but what would happen if "the enemy" took out/down power grids during extreme heat? People would die. No way to cool them off. And of course in winter people can die of extreme cold if there is no heat. A dire possibility. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      July 26, 2018 2:26 AM MDT