Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Shopping » NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE RIGHT CATEGORY!!!

NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE RIGHT CATEGORY!!!

I have never understood why people buy fresh flowers!!!!!!!!!!!

whan an expense!!!

for me, if the occasion/person is that special,why not just get silk flowers instead?

fresh flowers? biggest waste of money on the planet!!!!!!

period!!!!!!!!

so spend a little more and get ones that LAST AND LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEE?

:-D

Posted - August 17, 2018

Responses

Silk flowers don't have aroma.
      August 17, 2018 9:31 AM MDT

It's not so much the looks of fresh flowers, rather the ambiance they give off.  Fresh flower are alive (even the cut ones), and they give one the feeling they are too.  Fake flowers are dead and they can emit no feelings.  Even when put on a grave, they give off some glimmer of lie in a very dead place.  Fake flowers never change.  They are what they are day after day after day after day after....  just objects that collect dust. 
    However, it's not the actual flowers that have the most meaning, it's the reason behind why they are given and the person to whom they are given.  

Yes, fake flowers are cheaper and they do last a very long time.  However while you might like receiving a plastic flower, most women don't.  There's more to a gift than its price.

"Honey, I love you.  Here's a fake dead piece of polyester to prove it."  (translation - I'm cheap, they're fake - just like my love for you)
    "Honey, I love you.  Here's a bouquet of fresh roses." (translation - Your love means more to me than mere money)
    "Honey, I'm sorry.   Here's some fake flowers to show how sorry I am.  May you look at them for years to come.  Each time you see them may you remember our argument."  (translation - I enjoy sleeping on the sofa)
      August 17, 2018 9:37 AM MDT

LOL ... love that last one!
      August 17, 2018 11:44 AM MDT

I see your point.

Your question and description reminded me immediately of a meditation written by author Henri Nouwen.
    I'll re-type it here.

From "Mornings with Henri J.M. Nouwen: Readings and Reflections"  c 1997 by Servant Publications

Reflection #41

"I remember sitting day after day at the same table in a dull restaurant where I had to eat my lunch. There was a beautiful red rose in a small vase in the middle of the table. I looked at the rose with sympathy and enjoyed its beauty. Every day I talked with my rose. But then I became suspicious. Because while my mood was changing during the week from happy to sad, from disappointed to angry, from energetic to apathetic, my rose was always the same. And moved by my suspicion I lifted my fingers to the rose and touched it. It was a plastic thing. I was deeply offended and never went back there to eat.
          We cannot talk with plastic nature because it cannot tell us the real story about life and death. But if we are sensitive to the voice of nature, we might be able to hear sounds from a world where man and nature both find their shape. We will never fully understand the meaning of the sacramental signs of bread and wine when they do not make us realize that the whole of nature is a sacrament pointing to a reality far beyond itself."

WelbyQuentin is back now -- 

His reaction to that plastic rose? What a hissy fit! (I've had my share of hissy fits so I recognize one when I see one, ha!) He was "deeply offended"? He called it a plastic "thing." And he "never went back there to eat"? Why couldn't he simply enjoy the beauty of the "beautiful red rose?"  He was able to do that at the beginning of the week before he was "deeply offended" by the "plastic thing."
       His second paragraph doesn't hold up to me for a reason to be so offended in the restaurant.

August 17, 2018 3:11 PM MDT

Silk flowers just don't flip my switch.  Thanks, anyway.
      August 17, 2018 3:58 PM MDT

cause people like real ones
      September 9, 2018 5:58 PM MDT