Active Now

Reverend Muhammadovsky
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Why Do People Distrust Atheists?

Why Do People Distrust Atheists?

Note to the 'usual suspects': please don't kill the messenger here.  I WANT to treat this as a serious discussion.

In Atheism We Distrust: Scientific American

Atheists are one of the most disliked groups in America. Only 45 percent of Americans say they would vote for a qualified atheist presidential candidate, and atheists are rated as the least desirable group for a potential son-in-law or daughter-in-law to belong to. Will Gervais at the University of British Columbia recently published a set of looking at why atheists are so disliked. His conclusion: It comes down to trust.

Posted - August 17, 2016

Responses

Sure, there's vility of all kinds on both sides, but if you're already a theist, and exploring atheism through atheist forums, their behavior is going to hit you harder than it would from someone in your own camp. If the question is why atheists are untrusted, that matters. There are fewer of them, and the people who hang out in atheist forums haven't given the majority a reason to trust them.

As for worldviews, virtually all people of sufficient cognitive development have one, including atheists. A worldview is just the set of beliefs by which a person models, interprets, and interacts with the world...their combined theories of ontology, knowledge, ethics...etc.
      August 17, 2016 4:01 PM MDT

Exactly.  This is precisely why I've striven to maintain civil discourse on this specific issue.

August 17, 2016 4:04 PM MDT

1) Excellent points all, but many (theists) would contend that all manner of brutality has been perpetrated under the banner of atheism as well--or at least under what they understand as atheism, anyway.

2) There are exceptions to every rule. I am a theist (a Christian, specifically) but a) I am not conventionally 'religious,' and am b) as much a philosophical Christian as a spiritual one.  Oh, and I only use the word 'filth' in a religious discussion when referring specifically to inherently destructive, violent ideologies.  Had we been having this discussion 400 years ago, I would doubtless have included the then current understanding of Christianity under the rubric of that which was filthy. (That the church of the time was operating so far apart from the core Message of Christ seems, to me, to be obvious.)

3) Agreed--for the most part.  Much of the controversy stems from one's POV regarding the fundamental goodness (or not) of humanity.

4) The question presupposes that the source of a given religion comes exclusively from human beings.  I don't presuppose that.

August 17, 2016 4:11 PM MDT

• Yeah I was being slightly sarcastic about the filth part. Not that I was implying you think that or anything but I've ran into many who do so I couldn't help myself but to take a shot at them sorry (I did try not to in my defense) :) 

That's why I know this article is on point as far as basic attitudes go towards atheists.

To be fair in the defense of religious people... there is other issues like the over tolerance of groups that is going on and for the fact that the media and liberal groups are very biased towards religious people. That can probably make it seem like it is one sided to a certain extent and it is one sided so I can't blame them for being upset but the idea of "no morals" itself in the context of no religion vs. religion is strictly a logical fallacy and is not rooted to any point of rational thinking.

August 17, 2016 4:49 PM MDT

1) Attempts at sarcasm notwithstanding, your allusion to the use of the word 'filth' by the adherents/practitioners of religion was spot on.  Even I, a relatively non-religious individual, have used that specific epithet in reference to various religious ideologies--ideologies which, in my view, are sadistic, glorify death and are violent to the point of being antithetical to the survival of the human race.  Get me to talk about Islam and certain sects of fundamentalist Christianity sometimes, and you'll see what I mean. :-)

I've never used it in reference to atheism, though.

3) I can't relate too much to over tolerance, although I do know it exists.  I see it as a form of capitulation to the tyranny of the majority/minority.  I gave up whatever concerns I had for groupthink for Lent many years ago. :-)

August 18, 2016 1:57 AM MDT

What verse is that? I couldn't find it. The Mosaic Law was harsh. I would like to read the context.

I found these though:

(2 Kings 8:12) Hazʹa·el asked: “Why is my lord weeping?” He replied: “Because I know what harm you will do to the people of Israel. Their fortified places you will set on fire, their choice men you will kill with the sword, their children you will dash to pieces, and their pregnant women you will rip open.”
    (Amos 1:13) This is what Jehovah says, ‘“For three revolts of the Amʹmon·ites, and for four, I will not reverse it, Because they ripped open the pregnant women of Gilʹe·ad to widen out their own territory.

August 18, 2016 7:25 AM MDT

Hello N:

A better question is why atheists DON'T trust believers..  Who they believe in is secondary to the fact that they DO believe in some fantastical being..  I shy away from adults who believe in the tooth fairy or Santa Clause because their thinking is SKEWED, and we KNOW it's SKEWED..   I see NO difference between believers of THAT fantasy and believers in a religious fantasy..

excon

August 18, 2016 8:21 AM MDT

1) You're right: that would be an interesting question.  Many atheists, in fact, do not trust believers.

2) In my experience we all believe in some fantastical (largely of fantasy, or at least of a state, condition or entity without basis in evidence) something or other.  Even, somewhat ironically, atheists subscribe to various 'fantastical' notions. (This is why I try to AVOID pejoratives to describe the opposition, BTW. :-))  Basing the existence of an entity on its conformity to our standards of evidence is, in itself, fantastical.

3) A minor correction: we can only ASSUME such beliefs are skewed until such time as we can provide a basis for how we 'know' such entities don't exist.  This isn't the same feat as attempting to 'prove a negative.' 

4) Agreed.

August 18, 2016 3:05 PM MDT