Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Does any brain have the capacity to KNOW everything there is to know? Is the brain limited/un? If we knew everything would we be better off?

Does any brain have the capacity to KNOW everything there is to know? Is the brain limited/un? If we knew everything would we be better off?

Posted - August 27, 2018

Responses

Yes, the brain has that capacity.  However, it is limited by other factors  -

- Time.  Humans don't live long enough to "know" everything.
    - Space. The universe is vast and we are but dust specks therein.  We have the ability (or time (again)) to explore the entire universe in depth.
    - Individuality.  Every person is made(?) with cretin abilities and disabilities (meaning, they are good at certain things but lousy at others).   While the brain has the capacity to know everything, it doesn't have the ability.
      August 27, 2018 10:29 AM MDT

I think you meant "certain abilities and disabilities".

Though some people may be born with cretin abilities, as well.  LOL
      August 27, 2018 1:33 PM MDT

You don't think they come from Crete?  (Gotta love spell-check?)
      August 27, 2018 10:41 PM MDT

LOL ... I wasn't even thinking of Crete.  I was thinking they're cretins.  LOL
      August 28, 2018 7:06 AM MDT

So if the capacity of the intellect is vast such a person could potentially "know" everything given the time and space? I wonder how long life will be extended futurely Shuhak? Would we be better off by any measure if we knew everything or d'ya think we'd be worse off? Thank you for your thought reply and Happy Tuesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 28, 2018 9:08 AM MDT
      August 28, 2018 2:13 AM MDT

• Yes, without a doubt. There's a know-it-all on every corner. Seriously though, I have no desire to know everything. There are mysteries that God retains and that's fine with me. People manage to get into serious trouble with a diminished capacity of brain power. Since knowledge isn't wisdom, think of the havoc we could wreak running full tilt. 
      August 27, 2018 11:52 AM MDT

There's a difference between knowing everything and being a "know-it-all". But of course you know that. So if it were possible and it occurred you think we'd be worse off then? Thank you for your reply DA.
      August 28, 2018 2:16 AM MDT

I don't believe so.
    Even though the human brain is allegedly the most advanced on the planet, it doesn't have a high "storage" capacity ... and is prone to "loss of data".
      August 27, 2018 1:35 PM MDT

So the "Hardware" isn't configured sufficienty to store the information then? I wonder if one days thousands of years hence it will be? How long do you think human life could be extended futurely Walt? If it were possible for all of us to know everything would we be better off or worse? Why? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :) I think I"m go with what you said on another question. You'll know which one.
      August 28, 2018 2:18 AM MDT

In a semi-related news story ... They recently discovered that human brains have cells not found in mice brains. 
    So that may be why drugs for mental diseases that work in mice, don't work in humans.

https://www.livescience.com/63441-new-brain-cell-rosehip-neuron.html

There's also this:  Uncertainty principle, also called Heisenberg uncertainty principle or indeterminacy principle, statement, articulated (1927) by the German physicist Werner Heisenberg, that the position and the velocity of an object cannot both be measured exactly, at the same time, even in theory.

If true, that means it is impossible to know everything. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at August 28, 2018 8:08 AM MDT
      August 28, 2018 7:08 AM MDT

Why can't you measure position and then measure velocity? Sequential not simultaneous? Thank you for your reply Walt. I saw a movie once...Charly. It was based on a scifi short story titled "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes. In it Charly is mentally below average. He gets picked for a test and after awhile his brain wakes up kicks and work like it's on steroids. He reads everything. Retains everything. Understand everything. Speaks many languages all self-taught. If you say the movie you know how it ends. Thank you for your reply Walt!
      August 28, 2018 8:13 AM MDT

The theory is that the very act of observing an object alters it.
    At least, that's what I've been told ... physics is over my head.  lol

But that's why they have the Heisenberg Circuit in the transporters, in StarTrek.
      August 28, 2018 9:38 AM MDT

No.

Knowing everything there is to know is not even a valid concept.  Define it.  How can you even define what knowing everything even means?

What is everything?  Every THING happens to have constant change that has not even happened yet.  I know that GOD knows EVERYTHING. But God does not employ a human brain in order to accomplish this.  
      August 27, 2018 10:53 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Sharon and Happy Tuesday.
      August 28, 2018 2:20 AM MDT

I don't think so because I always have to talk to all my body parts to ask how they are doing so I can proper adjustments -like eating less junk food or wear better fitting shoes, etc.
      August 28, 2018 12:19 AM MDT

Say we could know everything Kg. Think that would be a very good thing or a very bad thing? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      August 28, 2018 2:21 AM MDT

If we could become aware of situations and know how to suitabley manage those things it would be nice. 
    If everyone knew everything it would be nice also then there should be no disagreement how to handle things.
    You'd think that would make life simpler.
      August 28, 2018 8:35 AM MDT