Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » is the Catholic Church a sanctuary/haven for sexual perverts or are all religions similarly afflicted with such vermin?

is the Catholic Church a sanctuary/haven for sexual perverts or are all religions similarly afflicted with such vermin?

Posted - August 28, 2018

Responses

I don't recall hearing this big a scandal in any other religion.  I have heard a couple of stories about Rabbis acting improperly, but nowhere near the extent of the Catholic Church.  It is a shame that this has happened to so many children over such a long period of time.  The Church has paid out millions of dollars to those abused, but the problem continues.  Happy Tuesday. :)
      August 28, 2018 10:12 AM MDT

The English church is no different....it's full of perverts ..In north west Hampsted where I live the old head Jewish Rabbi sexually abused his own grand daughter ..that was about  8/9/10 years ago.....it was in the papers yet still hushed up...
      August 28, 2018 10:54 AM MDT

:(:(:( Too sad for happy faces D.
      August 28, 2018 11:18 AM MDT

It's always hushed up because they are terrified that if it gets out, they will lose parishioners (and money) and their credibility will suffer.  I never did believe in organized religion.  It's only a means to control people with the fear that they will go to Hell (which I don't believe exists).
      August 28, 2018 12:56 PM MDT

The latest is an accusation that Pope Francis also covered up for sexual perverts. Is it true? I dunno L but I am absolutely disgusted with all of them and I'm pretty dam* sure GOD is too. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 28, 2018 11:08 AM MDT

There was something about that on the news last night  Apparently, some Bishop is claiming that he sent a letter to Pope Francis about McCarick two or three years ago and the Pope ignored it.
      August 28, 2018 12:54 PM MDT

What do you expect ....no one kills their cash cow.....for a such charitable organization ,they don't give any of people's donations away to the starving or good causes....The pope and his cronies need every cent to continue with living the life of luxury off the backs of the poor and vulnerable.... 
      August 28, 2018 1:32 PM MDT

I believe it's prevalent in the Catholic Church due to their LONG history of abuse of power.
    I mean, once you get used to persecuting anyone not of your particular faith ... and have billions of dollars backing you ... you figure you can do whatever you want "in the name of God".

Also ... probably more prevalent in the Catholic Church than other sects, because they don't allow their leaders to marry.
    So you get a bunch of guys who aren't interested in marriage, increases the odds they aren't interested in women. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at August 28, 2018 11:08 AM MDT
      August 28, 2018 10:41 AM MDT

True....but all other religions follow closely behind them...:( 

God must teach it pupils all sorts of preverted things...and does not a single thing to stop it....
      August 28, 2018 10:45 AM MDT

:):):)
      August 28, 2018 11:18 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Walt. I think there is more to come and we will find out how disgusting and deep the perversion is. Still today I betcha. So what do we draw from this? I think GOD thinks they are an abomination. SIGH. What next? Thank you for your reply.
      August 28, 2018 11:10 AM MDT

Over the years, Walt, we have tended to disagree.

Your suggestion that pedophilia is linked to power is tenuous at best; and like the Italian cardinal who accused the pope of knowing about it years ago "because he told the pope about it," you offer no proof.

And since Catholic priests previously and currently take a vow that precludes marriage, are you suggesting that the human sex drive of heterosexual men is equally satisfied by interaction with a woman or a man?

Nor do you realize that becoming a priest is not a career choice based on a lack of interest in women.  But then I'm sure you would readily admit that you are not a fan of Catholicism, nor particularly knowledgeable about the Sacrament of Holy Orders or the screening process involved for those who seek it.
      August 29, 2018 2:54 PM MDT

The question was not asking for proof ... merely our opinions.
    As such, I stated my opinion.
    I did not state or imply that pedophilia was linked to power.

There is the old saying: "The proof is in the pudding".
    There is no denying that the Catholic Church has a long history of persecution against those who speak against it.
    Nor that it has a long history of abusing its power.

I can't imagine them saying "Oh, torture and murder is okay - but rape is out".

So are there more pedophiles in the Church leadership these days, or are people more willing to speak about it because the Church's power has wained?  My guess is the second.  (EG: the same reason so many women came forward with the #MeToo movement)

August 29, 2018 3:39 PM MDT

Funny, the question didn't begin with "Do you think."---It started with "Is."---That is a specific interrogatory.

And you said "I believe it's prevalent in the Catholic Church due to their LONG history of abuse of power."

Now if that's what you "believe" then you heard it somewhere else.

Please strive to write clearly and correctly to avoid confusion.  
      August 29, 2018 3:54 PM MDT

Belief: 

1: an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.

2: trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something.

I accept that my own statement is true.

August 30, 2018 7:22 AM MDT

• Let me be careful here. No group, sect or denomination is immune. I think that's a given. I want to say up front  that anyone who claims the shed blood of Christ for atonement, redemption and eternal life is a child of God and heir of the kingdom whose heart will be judged by Him. I have many Catholic friends whom I love. We may disagree on a few things, but that's all right we all answer to God for our own actions. My problem with the Roman Church is the importance they place on temporal power in the form of international politics and economics at the expense of the spiritual welfare of the adherents and the protection of innocent children. Any problem that's widespread and known throughout the hierarchy of leadership, can be not only addressed, but eliminated. You have to want to.
      August 28, 2018 10:42 AM MDT

That is precisely why I asked the question DA. I don't know and I'd like to. Though GOD hasn't told me this I surmise HE thinks all those perverted sexual deviates in the church who sexually abuse children or cover up for those who do are an abomination. How they sleep at night I don't know. How they fake devotion and spirituality I don't know. But I know who controls them and it isn't GOD. Thank you for your reply!
      August 28, 2018 11:13 AM MDT

Just a few comments:

When criticized during the Manafort trial, Judge Ellis said “Like any human---and this robe doesn't make me anything other than human---I sometimes make mistakes."

A man wearing a cassock (classic clerical clothing, similar to a robe) could say the same thing.

Pedophilia---The deriving of sexual gratification from sexual fantasies or acts involving a child.

It seems reasonable to say pedophilia is an ineradicable but not especially common impulse that, unlike other forms of sexual and child abuse has never been widely tolerated.

There’s no indication sex crimes involving children are more frequent than they used to be. What’s changed is we’re hearing more now about scandals that were previously hushed up. (Italics from Internet)

You might enjoy this link:  https://www.catholiceducation.org/en/controversy/common-misconceptions/9-myths-about-priestly-pedophilia.html

August 29, 2018 3:26 PM MDT