Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Do regular folks ever say POTAHTO and TOMAHTO or is that just for the rootin' tootin' high-falutin' prtetentious people? Anyone know?

Do regular folks ever say POTAHTO and TOMAHTO or is that just for the rootin' tootin' high-falutin' prtetentious people? Anyone know?

Posted - August 29, 2018

Responses

I say tomato and taters.
      August 29, 2018 5:12 AM MDT

I say taters too m2c and tomayto. I don't know if hoity hoity talk works for many people. When I hear pretentious I tune out. Oh. I made fresh tomayto soup yesterday and tossed in a little green bell pepper, onions, mushroom, celery and spinach. It turned out pretty good. I had lots of tomaytoes and they were getting a little soft. Do you make tomayto soup from scratch too? What's your favorite way to eat taters? I love them almost any way you can prepare them. Thank you for your reply and Happy  Wednesday to thee!   :) Gonna ask about 'em. This post was edited by RosieG at August 29, 2018 5:19 AM MDT
      August 29, 2018 5:15 AM MDT

I actually don't like tomatoes or tomahtoes. I am not too big into veggies.  So no homemade soup for me. I do like Campbells tomato soup though weird I know.
    I prefer fried taters by themselves or for breakfast mixed in scrambled eggs and sausage. Baked is good as well.  This post was edited by my2cents at August 29, 2018 5:22 AM MDT
      August 29, 2018 5:19 AM MDT

Oh. I'm a big veggie lover and so is Jim m2c. In fact Jim and I would have no problem at all becoming vegetarians. Not vegans because we love our cheese and eggs and ice cream! But I would miss baby back ribs, roast beef, steak and bacon! Our diet mostly consists of veggies, whole grains fruit, beans, nuts, seeds. I'd say maybe 60% of the food I buy is veggies. Oh beans are veggies right so then the percentage is higher. We LOVE chili and beans. We LOVE refried beans with cheese. In my cupboard right now I have canned black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, cannelini beans. I have garbanzo beans in the freezer. I always cook them from scratch. You might say we are full of beans!  We eat veggie burgers too though a really good beefy hamburger tastes better!  We're very soupy.  My sister is too. We make all kinds of soups It's funny my son never liked tomatoes either. His dad didn't like them so maybe it's genetic? Thank you  for your reply! :)
      August 29, 2018 5:25 AM MDT

People pronounce things the way they learned at home or in the communities in which they grew up.  Has nothing to do with pretentiousness.  People just pronounce things differently. 
      August 29, 2018 5:37 AM MDT

I agree. Communities: countries too - Potatoes have a soft 'a' and tomatoes have a lengthened hard 'a' ('ar'), sounds in Britain, where the colloquialism for the tubers is "spuds", or I believe in parts of Scotland, "tatties".

I've never heard of "potartoe". Is that an American regional dialect form?
      August 30, 2018 2:32 PM MDT

I have always pronounced both words with the long "a" sound.  I remember both my aunt and my mother (sisters) using the "ay" sound with a British accent occasionally---perhaps just to break the boredom.
      August 30, 2018 2:43 PM MDT