Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Have you ever used the thin transparent film from an onion as a plaster to cover a small cut or wound...?

Have you ever used the thin transparent film from an onion as a plaster to cover a small cut or wound...?

It has antiseptic qualities and works really well a tempory covering....
Do you know of any other thing that can be reused in such different ways....? 

Posted - September 1, 2018

Responses

No. That sounds gross, and it's what Band-Aids are for.
      September 1, 2018 4:23 PM MDT

Why is it gross as a natural antiseptic tempory covering....what else can you use if you don't have a band aid close to hand to stop the bleeding .?
      September 1, 2018 4:35 PM MDT

Absolutely not. That isn't sanitary. That’s what’s Band-Aids, gauze, and sterile cloth is for. This post was edited by Rizz at September 1, 2018 5:44 PM MDT
      September 1, 2018 4:25 PM MDT

And if you don't have a band aid ...what would you use instead...??
      September 1, 2018 4:37 PM MDT

Paper towel, clean rag or towel. 
      September 1, 2018 4:38 PM MDT

All paper towels are contaminated with bleach to whiten then...even babies paper disposible  nappies contain bleach just to make them look white to increase sales....
    how clean is a rag....?
      September 1, 2018 4:46 PM MDT

I truth a washed and clean rag in n my home than an onion which has been handled by who-knows-who. I sliced my finger bad one day chopping veggies. I could tell instantly it would require stitches. I wrapped a clean wash rag around it, applied pressure, called the doctor’s office, and sped there. My finger required 9 stitches and was cut to the bone. That clean rag came in handy.
      September 1, 2018 4:49 PM MDT

You might not be in your home and desperate to stop the bleeding ..:( 
      September 1, 2018 4:54 PM MDT

I understand that, burn it’s rare for someone to be carrying an onion. I carry a first aid kit in my vehicle at all times. If I’m able to have it on me where I go, I have it with me. Most stores have medical kits.
      September 1, 2018 4:56 PM MDT

True...but there is always one time you are caught short....lol
      September 1, 2018 5:14 PM MDT

When you are sliced and bleeding, it doesn't matter what you grap. Your blood will help flush any impurities away.
      September 2, 2018 7:09 AM MDT

Absolutely not! If you have, you're a dummy.......................with nice feet.
      September 1, 2018 4:29 PM MDT

It's a natural antiseptic ....so why not ? 
      September 1, 2018 4:38 PM MDT

I guess that makes you the guinea pig. Try it and let the rest of us know.
      September 1, 2018 5:36 PM MDT

I have often nicked my self in the past with the heel of the knife while cutting through the dry outer layers of the ends of onions....I keep the last quarter inch of the blade blunt now....
    the thin transparent shin works instantly and is almost invisible when put on and smoothed out...
    it stop the bleeding quick as well...and I think takes away the pain as well...
      September 2, 2018 2:44 AM MDT

Why is everyone saying using a onion is unsanitary?  You're not using the skin of the onion (that would be unsanitary).  You're using the thin cellophane-like layer that's on the underside of each layer.  Unless it's becomes contaminated, it should work just fine.  
      September 1, 2018 5:39 PM MDT

It works better then a band aid actually ....it stops the bleeding on little nick and takes away the pain quickly as wel....
      September 2, 2018 2:46 AM MDT

Thank you.
      September 2, 2018 7:10 AM MDT

I don't understand why people are disagreeing with you. You are correct. There is a compound in onions called allicin that has antibacterial properties.
    The bleach used to whiten baby-wipes and paper towels is washed away during production.
    I will try it.
    Those above may not know what you are talking about when you refer to the onion skin. They may not know about the single-celled sheet between the onion layers. When I taught biology, I would stain pieces and have the students view them under microscopes. Excellent cell structures.
      September 2, 2018 7:27 AM MDT

Many things in nature are more sanitary and effective than our man-made chemical compounds.

I remember having to examine them in biology.  
      September 2, 2018 8:59 AM MDT

having to...getting to
      September 2, 2018 9:03 AM MDT

No, HAVING TO!!  The same way I HAD TO dissect a worm, a crayfish had a pregnant frog (along with my very squeamish female lab partner).  Onion skin observation (plus accompanying 3-page min. double-spaced typed report - this was before computers)) was in 7th grade.  Dissection was in high school (2 semesters of biology were required for graduation).  It wasn't until college that I really got into the sciences (I took nearly every class offered at the local campus).  
      September 2, 2018 9:38 AM MDT

I never liked dissecting either.
      September 2, 2018 2:13 PM MDT

One of my grandmothers told my mom about it and she used them on all us kids if it fingers and toes that were scuffed and she had to plasters / band aids to hand...they worked well I think ,but did stink of onions.....
    Maybe that's why we all like eating onions so much in our house...:( 
      September 2, 2018 9:39 AM MDT