Active Now

Randy D
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Should People Be Taxed In Accord With Their Views on The Size and Scope of Government?

Should People Be Taxed In Accord With Their Views on The Size and Scope of Government?

For example, should liberals be taxed more than conservatives, and conservatives more than libertarians? Is it reasonable to expect people to literally put their money where their mouths are?

should liberals be taxed more than conservatives, and conservatives more than libertarians?

Posted - August 18, 2016

Responses

This is going off the main topic of the question, but Hartfire mentions government outsourcing costing more money, with the example of private companies being hired to do printing. A few years ago, I was working on the newsletter (really a glossy magazine) of the project to regenerate the counties second most rundown area. Our company was hired to do the design work, and I also did a lot of writing for it. We got them a deal with a printer, which was a much cheaper deal than they would have got themselves, because being in the industry, we had the contacts. But instead of congratulating the manager for allowing us to save them money, the council gave her a dressing down, because they had a contract to have all their publications done by another printer. Let us name them and shame them. I am talking about Cambridgeshire County Council here in the UK.
      August 19, 2016 8:51 AM MDT

No. I think we should go to the Fair Tax.

http://www.fairtaxnation.com/

August 19, 2016 1:49 PM MDT

"I AGREE! END WELFARE FOR THE RICH. Stop Corporate subsidies!"

I have a better idea: outlaw corporations as they exist today.

"I personally find no delight in making people with lower income scape goats.  Most people on Welfare are single parents (mostly woman), the disabled, and the elderly.  Making the most vulnerable in our society seem as though they are the root cause is sickening."

Exactly!! As in that's exactly what happens with 'progressive' systems of taxation. Such systems pit the haves (as arbitrarily determined by whomever) against the have-nots (as arbitrarily determined by whomever).  As they have ever been, such systems are a way of driving us APART.

August 19, 2016 2:45 PM MDT

I've offered you nothing but civility in each/every reply.  Do you have evidence to the contrary?

August 19, 2016 2:46 PM MDT

I'm not the one doing the tag teaming, dear. :-)

August 19, 2016 2:47 PM MDT

Of course it's unworkable, but you have to admit that it's a great way to stimulate discussion.  Some of it is even enlightening/beneficial. :-)

August 19, 2016 2:48 PM MDT

As soon as they repeal the sixteenth first, and drop the prebate nonsense, so do I.

August 19, 2016 2:50 PM MDT

Look up your replies here as in previous questions and judge for yourself. Btw, were you implying I've shown you anything else by that remark?!
      August 19, 2016 3:49 PM MDT

First of all I'm not your dear. Secondly I'm not taking part in any tag teaming. I usually always thank people who make a friendly remark to me. I find it polite. Feel free to check it yourself.

That said, I find it anything but polite or showing civility making such remark as you did, or making a jump conclusion as you just did. Keep showing your nature. Will we end up with a "peace" again when you're finished fooling around?!
      August 19, 2016 3:53 PM MDT

You're intimating that I haven't been civil.  The onus of providing an example of my incivility is on you.

And yes, I'm implying precisely that.  I'm not the only one who has exhibited, shall we say, a supercilious, condescending attitude.  My brand is deliberately crafted to be casually snarky whereas I suspect yours runs a bit deeper. Could I be mistaken? Certainly...but you asked (meaning, I presume, that you actually care how others interpret your comportment).

"BTW," when I end responses with the word 'peace,' I mean precisely that.  I mean that I desire there to be peace between us.

Peace!

August 19, 2016 4:09 PM MDT

Oh but you ARE dear to me, Sapphic...and that, tag teaming, is precisely what one calls the banter between you and Hartfire. :-)  I'm OK with that, but it is what it is.

Thank you, though, for permission to demonstrate my 'nature.' With each and every one of my correspondences, I allow others to do the same.  (Your dripping contempt, for example, is daylight obvious.  I like to think I had a part in pulling that particular sentiment out of you, although I'm not entirely certain as to how.  Perhaps you don't appreciate dissenting opinions?)

As for that latter question, I've already supplied you with that which you seek in another post. . .oh, to hell with it.  PEACE! :-)

August 19, 2016 4:15 PM MDT

•   August 19, 2016 5:31 PM MDT

• I agree with changing the laws which permit corporations to behave like pathological human beings - and they should be roped into paying their fair share.

August 19, 2016 5:32 PM MDT

Then you also have to make sure that nobody who didn't pay for it collects the benefit.
      August 19, 2016 5:35 PM MDT

• Yes it is very reasonable because I really don't think it's fair liberals believe in big government and we have to adjust to them. If they want to throw their money at the gov't like a prostitute let them. I don't really care where they spend their money just don't take it out of my hard earned cash.

August 19, 2016 6:19 PM MDT

It's a great pipe dream, that much is true, but I think we both know it'll never happen.  To wit, we could never expect the slaver class to wanna foot the bill for their never-ending control dramas.

August 19, 2016 10:28 PM MDT

We'll issue federal donor cards with services stamps.  If you have one, you get whatever service for which you've paid.  If you don't...  :-)

August 19, 2016 10:30 PM MDT

1) Corporations aren't 'human beings,' and shouldn't be treated like them.

2) Corporations don't (and shouldn't) pay taxes.  Whatever they're charged in the form of taxes is passed off to the consumer.  The CONSUMER is thus the one who pays the tax.

3) Corporations as we know them today shouldn't exist at all.

August 19, 2016 10:33 PM MDT

• Absolutely. No more free rides 

August 20, 2016 7:57 AM MDT