Active Now

Spunky
Element 99
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Somehow I got on a spam email list and there's no way to remove myself. How do I stop the emails?

Somehow I got on a spam email list and there's no way to remove myself. How do I stop the emails?

It's the weirdest thing ever. I get like five messages a day that all say something like "We need to confirm your address before we ship" and "Can we call you at x number?" They don't have my info and they include a different email address, company name, and contact info for me every time. There's no link to get removed from their list and when I hover over the link in the email, it says my email name and then something in Russian. I'm not clicking it. O_o

Is there a way to stop these messages in Hotmail or should I just keep letting my junk folder catch them in the hopes that it will eventually stop?

Posted - August 19, 2016

Responses

• I get those, too.  I haven't figured out how to stop them and TBH, I don;t think there is a way to do so other than doing what you do. I let mine go to my junk folder as well 

August 19, 2016 10:53 AM MDT

I get those kind of emails too and I used to let it bother me. I would make it a point to go in the folder and delete them. I had to stop because it wasn't making any difference. Now I rarely go in there. Most of the ones I get are of a sexual nature. I wish there was a way to stop them because it feels invasive. You'd think over time they would realize you're not going to open them and they'd just quit, but they don't unfortunately. A friend of mine once told me that if you even X out of an email or even just a pop up, that it could damage your computer. So if I open something in error, I'll do a Contr Alt Del as a way of getting out of it.
      August 19, 2016 11:56 AM MDT

August 19, 2016 12:56 PM MDT

Most email programs have a safety feature that blocks any bad juju of things that go to the junk or spam folder. My email won't even accept tracking beacons or tell the sender I've opened something unless I say it's ok, even in the main inbox. I still won't click links, though. Your friend is  right, though. Just opening emails is dangerous if there aren't protections in place. 

It's such a pain, though. I get emails that I actually want to see and they go in my junk box, but I have to wade through the actual junk to find them. Bah.

August 19, 2016 1:00 PM MDT

Use your email rules and at least you won't see them.

August 19, 2016 1:31 PM MDT

Only 5? Most of my e-mails are junk. My spam folder sorts out most of them and I flush them down the toilet periodically. DO NOT ANSWER ANY OF THEM.

August 19, 2016 2:20 PM MDT

• I have Outlook 2016 and just noticed that in the JUNK filter, there is an option to block the sender and in the Junk eMail settings, there is an option that automatically deletes the junk.  I personally wouldn't do that. I get valid mail in my Junk sometimes.

August 19, 2016 2:46 PM MDT

If you don't ever respond, they will eventually assume it's a dead link and stop sending stuff.

August 19, 2016 8:54 PM MDT

Yes, I'm familiar with the settings. They spoof the sender email every time anyway though. The whole reason why I know they're coming in is because I keep going through my junk folder for the legit stuff that gets caught.

August 19, 2016 9:15 PM MDT

I can't block by sender because they spoof their email address. They're already in my junk box though.

August 19, 2016 9:16 PM MDT

5 per day from the same company.

August 19, 2016 9:17 PM MDT

I hope so.

August 19, 2016 9:17 PM MDT

Are you sure about this? I don't remember seeing emails like that when I hacked into your.....er, um . . .

Hey, how'd I end up in this thread? Someone must have hacked my computer!!!!!

*Slinks away with head down.

__
      August 20, 2016 4:20 AM MDT

• It would interesting to find out exactly how these senders get our eMail addresses to being with. 

Were they sold as part of a list? Hmmm

August 20, 2016 8:02 AM MDT

They ARE persistent. I have had phone telemarketers do that to me.

August 20, 2016 1:05 PM MDT

• That could be true. I own my own domain with a random name.

I also suspect that they get those email addresses as part of the practice of companies selling off their lists of compiled personal data. That's why I always read the TOS whenver I agree to them and it's surpriseing how many include a clause saying the reserve the right to do so. 

August 21, 2016 8:39 AM MDT