Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Innocent until proven guilty?

Innocent until proven guilty?

Can anyone explain to me why Trump (who admittedly does not have a law degree) and various senators think that 'Innocent until proven guilty" has a valid role in the Kavanaugh job interview?

Posted - October 2, 2018

Responses

Don't know exactly but that is the way you are supposed to conduct a trial.  Which it has turned into.  Really I think the whole thing is silly and does no one any credit.  If all our justices had been subjected to such showboating we would never have had any at all.  This post was edited by officegirl at October 3, 2018 5:56 PM MDT
      October 2, 2018 7:09 PM MDT

Yes, the way you conduct criminal trials.

That is why "innocent until proven guilty" is not applicable to Senate hearings involving the advise and consent action of the Senate.
      October 3, 2018 4:43 PM MDT

It is an election....not a job interview and not a trial. 

An accusation should at least have something to back up the allegation. All of these accusations are falling apart. There is even talk of charges be filed against the one who claimed Kavanaugh was a gang rape ring leader. Some were recanted soon after they were made. 

It is disgusting how the Dems treated Dr Ford. They used her and abused her.

It is a scary world for any parent of a son....when the only thing it takes to destroy a life is the phrase "she said". 
      October 2, 2018 9:33 PM MDT

Funny---I though it was a confirmation hearing   (a hearing held by the US Senate to gather information on whether to approve or reject candidates for high federal office who are nominated by the president.)

----Sorta part of the advise and consent function (In the United States, "advice and consent" is a power of the United States Senate to be consulted on and approve treaties signed and appointments made by the President of the United States to public positions, including Cabinet secretaries, federal judges, United States Attorneys, and ambassadors.)

Kinda like Trump did the first interview, and now the Senate is doing the second and final interview.

I understand why Trump says that "it's a scary world for any parent of a son."  He's a misogynist. He has little use for women.  He has always been that way---3 marriages and how many affairs (Marla Maples). Women exist only to serve him and he knows full well he has passed that philosophy on to his male children---by both example and inclination. 

If Kavanaugh is not confirmed, his punishment is to go back to his current job as a circuit court judge---your definition of a "life destroyed?"

I have 3 sons and half of my grandchildren are boys---I have no fears.

Because my wife and I are excellent parents and grandparents.

If you have sons and fear "she said," there are excellent books on parenting skills available.  If you need recommendations, I would be glad to prove some for you.
      October 3, 2018 4:40 PM MDT

Yes it is a confirmation hearing and those are not job interviews any more they are a show and it all boils down to an election. And most will vote along party lines. 
    I don't need any parenting books. My children are fine.

Do you not believe there are false accusations made by women? So  Bill Clinton a rapist and sexual harrasser? How about Keith Ellison, he is a domestic abuser?  And Clarence Thomas? 
    Do you believe if Kavanaugh is not confirmed that the Dem will let it just go? No one is going to try to impeach him from his current judicial branch? If they don't it proves they do not actually believe Dr Ford. And this is all for show. (Which is what I believe) Do you believe a person being accused of attempted rape, being a gang rape ring leader etc, has only been denied a job promotion?
     He has lost a teaching job at a law school, some are saying he should not be allowed continue coaching girls basketball. His name has been drug through the mud....But all that is no matter, he has simply been denied a job promotion?

If I were in his place, I would sue for defamation. There is no evidence backing any of these accusations. There are witnesses who rebut much of her testimony. Should she be charged with lying under oath? This post was edited by my2cents at October 4, 2018 2:18 PM MDT
      October 4, 2018 4:43 AM MDT

I do not see the response that I thought I posted.  I will post it again.  It is actually a response to a comment on another site about Senator Mazie Hirono.) 

Senator Mazie Hirono was recently accused of misunderstanding American law.

It turns out her accuser is the one who is wrong---read the following:

The chairwoman of the Republican National Committee, Ronna Romney McDaniel, recently accused US senator Mazie Hirono of Hawaii of misunderstanding American law. “A Democrat on the Judiciary Committee (who graduated from law school) doesn’t believe in the presumption of innocence for conservatives,” McDaniel wrote on Twitter. “That’s terrifying and goes against the bedrock of our entire justice system.”

But here’s the reality:

Kavanaugh has not been accused of a crime by a prosecuting body. His liberty isn’t at stake. He’s just a guy who’s up for a job. When you’re applying for a job, an employer doesn’t have to prove you’re guilty beyond a reasonable doubt to discard you from the running. They can simply not hire you, deciding you’re not a good fit, and there’s no onus on them to provide evidence that you’ve done something wrong. Or as Hirono told MSNBC, “Look, we’re not in a court of law. We’re actually in a court of credibility at this point.”

Even when you’re up for a seat on the highest court in the land, you simply can’t expect the protections granted by the justice system, because a confirmation hearing is not a legal venue. The presumption of innocence, which places the burden of proving guilt on an accuser, applies only to state actors like prosecutors, not in the employment context. This post was edited by tom jackson at October 3, 2018 5:38 PM MDT
      October 3, 2018 5:37 PM MDT