Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Land-line users, how many telemarketer calls do you get each day? I get at least ten, even on Sunday. They are relentless.

Land-line users, how many telemarketer calls do you get each day? I get at least ten, even on Sunday. They are relentless.

Posted - October 12, 2018

Responses

Almost none.  I've never had my telephone number listed and my answering machine picks up when I'm not home so no messages are left  The one that really irritates me is whomever is leaving messages in some Asian language on my cell phone.  That is the only message I ever get on my landline as well.  
      October 14, 2018 1:53 PM MDT

Not many at all.

I've used little white lies in the past like, "A conservatory? Yes, I am interested - trouble is I'd have to ask my landlord", or "... I live in a third-floor flat".

I've received far more scam calls than genuine sales attempts, such as from "the Windows Corporation" and such-like. They soon hang up when they realise you know a bit more about IT than they hope you do, especially if you then say, "Oh, and I work in computer security". 

A friend told me recently of someone trying to pressure him into replacing his fibre-glass roof insulation on the supposed grounds of the material having now been banned. He said he replied with "Really? Well, I'm in the building trade, and I have never heard of that!" The caller rang off straight way. My friend had not lied: he is in the trade.

The same man also related to me how some years ago now, he persuaded his daughter to hand over her 'phone when some persistent salesman tried yet again to sell her something. He said, "You are ringing a thirteen year old schoolgirl and I am her father! Stop pestering her!". Again, he wasn't lying. His daughter was that age at the time. The caller's company didn't bother her again. 

October 14, 2018 6:12 PM MDT