Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What are your favorite movies?

What are your favorite movies?

For me:
”Ace Ventura: Pet Detective”
”American Beauty”
”A Bronx Tale”
”Austin Powers” Trilogy
”Naked Gun” Trilogy
Anything “Star Wars”
”Ghostbusters”
Everything made by Mel Brooks

Posted - October 15, 2018

Responses

A Child's Christmas in Wales ('80s)
    Pride and Prejudice ('90s w/Colin Firth)
    Flower Drum Song
    Groundhog Day
    Pieces of April
    Made For Each Other ('70s)
    Metropolitan
    The Swimmer
    Buffalo Bill and the Indians
    Nashville
    Fiddler On the Roof
    Return of the Secaucus Seven
    Sunshine State

Others too but sorry those are what immediately came to mind. 
      October 16, 2018 7:26 AM MDT

Was the "Made for Each Other" movie with Renee Taylor and Joseph Bologna? I saw the movie once and thought it was great. To me, very funny and touching at the same time.
    :)

Related image This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 17, 2018 8:53 AM MDT
      October 16, 2018 8:29 AM MDT

• I have a ton of "favorite" movies, but here are some of them:

American Beauty (I noticed this was on your list too)
    The Royal Tenenbaums (I love most Wes Anderson movies)
    Being John Malkovich
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotted Mind
    Welcome to the Dollhouse (I love Todd Solondz)
    Garden State 
    Swingers
    Robocop (the original, 1987)
    Fight Club
    The Green Mile
    Lost In Translation
    Reservoir Dogs

I could keep adding to this list, but it would be miles long :)
      October 16, 2018 7:44 AM MDT

I love "Welcome to the Dollhouse"! I know few people who have mentioned that they've seen it. I also really like Solondz's "Happiness."

"Garden State" - - one of the most enjoyable romantic comedies for me to watch - - I loved one  the opening scenes where one of the funeral attendees at the gravesite loudly breaks out singing? Maybe it's the main guy's mother? I can't remember for sure --  I just remember a funny scene with someone singing loudly .
      October 16, 2018 8:34 AM MDT

• I LOVED Welcome To The Dollhouse.   Wow, I have seen that movie about half a dozen times, but it's been ages.   I had forgotten all about that little gem.    Great movie, thank you so much for the reminder. I need to get that one on Blu Ray. 
      October 16, 2018 8:42 AM MDT

I've only watched "Welcome to the Dollhouse" twice or so.

PLOT SPOILER!!! "WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE"!!!!!

Doesn't the movie end with the girl sitting on a bus with classmates and they're all singing? I guess I don't remember many of the specifics of the movie but I remember, in a general sense within the context of the movie, at that point I almost wanted to reach out and give this girl a hug. Sometimes with movies I like, as weird as it sounds, I may come out of the movie-watching experience with emotional reactions stronger than remembering movie specifics. (Or I remember a few specific strong-to-me scenes.)
    Anyway, I ramble again.
    That movie made me smile and laugh.

I recommend "Happiness" a lot if you haven't seen it.
      October 16, 2018 9:04 AM MDT

• To be honest, as many times as I have seen it, it's been so long since the last time that I don't recall the ending, like you.   I just remember feeling so badly for the girl, but I was also entertained by her.   It was a mixed bag of emotions, I guess.      I will definitely check out  "Happiness"   on Netflix.  Thank you for the suggestion! 
      October 16, 2018 9:22 AM MDT

You're welcome (to the dollhouse, ha!) !

I had the same feelings for the girl.

Yeah, "Happiness" rocks! To me, it defies any label or genre. Very unique.
      October 16, 2018 9:44 AM MDT

• hahah!

I read a synopsis -  I love dark comedies.  I am going to Netflix this, and I cannot wait to see it.  
      October 16, 2018 2:04 PM MDT

I hope you like it even more than I do!
      October 16, 2018 3:54 PM MDT

• Yeah, I also like Solondz's "Happiness" but it's definitely not for everyone. I tend to enjoy dark films, such as "Pi" and "Requiem for a Dream," which are both Aronofsky films. But if you really want to go dark, see a Harmony Korine film. "Julien Donkey Boy" is especially disturbing.

There are so many funny moments in "Garden State" but the scene you mentioned was absolutely hilarious :)

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 16, 2018 8:26 PM MDT
      October 16, 2018 8:19 PM MDT

Lenina -- you said it MUCH better than I did - - "Happiness," as much as it greatly impresses me, is definitely not for everyone.

I've not seen "Requiem for a Dream" - - I think Ellen Burstyn is in it -- she's a favorite actress of mine. I'd see it just for her. Though I know the movie received rave reviews from both critics and the public.

After watching Michael Haneke's 1997 original version of his "Funny Games" - - I'm unsure if disturbing movies are so good for me. But, they so often are fantastic movies to me. (And I don't mean "superficially" disturbing, with gore, etc. Haneke's films are so often disturbing yet incredible films.)
    Yet, your suggestions still intrigue me.

And, yay! It WAS "Garden State" with the singing at the graveside! Yes, it was hilarious! I remember laughing so HARD and out of control at that scene! Ha! I think my friends with me were a bit concerned.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 16, 2018 8:36 PM MDT
      October 16, 2018 8:27 PM MDT

• If you love Ellen Burstyn then you MUST see "Requiem for a Dream." Have some Kleenex handy though; there is one monologue of hers that will have you in tears.

There is such wide range of movie genres that appeal to me that I even find superficial gore to be fun at times. But it all depends on my mood. But I'll watch a cheesy shark film any day, any time; shark flicks are truly my weakness. I'm not big on chick flicks, but once in a blue moon, I'll catch one of those and actually enjoy it ;)
      October 16, 2018 8:36 PM MDT

Yes, that "Requiem for a Dream" would be worth my time I'm sure.

For some reason, when you mention cheesy, superficial gore, etc., the original "Creepshow" popped into my mind - - such a fun movie that, even in its intentional humor, I still was scared.
    I love that movie.
    I love the sporadic placings of cast members reacting to their own stories, in comic books style animation.

October 17, 2018 9:10 AM MDT

• I loved "Creepshow." Yes, it had some pretty scary moments but it was hilarious/fun at the same time.

"Just call me Billie, everyone does."

October 17, 2018 9:14 PM MDT

Adrienne Barbeau was so good in her role!

"I've got a bug problem."

"I can hold my breath a long time."

"I want my cake. Where's my cake? It's Father's Day."

October 18, 2018 8:24 AM MDT

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
    Field Of Dreams
    Airplane
    We Are Marshall
    A Few Good Men
    Nobody's Fool (Paul Newman)
    Halloween
      October 16, 2018 10:07 AM MDT

It seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it movie for so many people, but I really like the original "Halloween."
    It's certainly not for everyone.
      October 16, 2018 8:30 PM MDT

• The girl who walks alone at night
    Rocky
    Enter the Dragon
    Napoleon Dynamite
    Forrest Gump
    Grave of the fireflies.
    Tropic Thunder
    Slumdog Millionaire
    Flat land
    Rushmore

October 16, 2018 10:12 AM MDT

Numerous ones that have already been posted here. My favorite one that hasn't been.

The best movie ever filmed.

October 17, 2018 9:00 AM MDT

That is a funny one!
      October 17, 2018 9:02 AM MDT

Well beyond funny.
      October 17, 2018 9:03 AM MDT

Yeah, you're right!
      October 17, 2018 9:06 AM MDT

I thought of another movie - - the original 70's version of "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three"

~ the first time I saw it was by chance on TV and the opening music theme pulled me in -- this thing ROCKS!! And the movie blew me AWAY!! 

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at October 17, 2018 10:42 PM MDT
      October 17, 2018 3:36 PM MDT

I truly love Bette Davis in the movie Now Voyager.  I can totally relate and empathize with Davis' tempestuous transformation from sheltered, dependent, insecure ugly duckling into a worldly, confident, reassured beautiful swan.
      October 17, 2018 10:25 PM MDT