Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » The shooter at Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh is anti-Trump and (obviously) anti-Semitic and a wacko. Surprised?

The shooter at Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh is anti-Trump and (obviously) anti-Semitic and a wacko. Surprised?

Posted - October 27, 2018

Responses

The person's politics I haven't even thought about.  I read about it this morning and I'm sure much more is now known.  It's more horrible than I have words for.  My understanding is that they were having a ceremony naming a baby.  A joyous time!  It's heartbreaking and infuriating at the same time....like so many things in this life.
      October 27, 2018 3:40 PM MDT

Nope. Crazies on all sides. I hope he gets the death penalty. 
      October 27, 2018 3:48 PM MDT

Color me surprised. So is this how we identify EVERYONE now, whether they are Pro-Trump or not? How many of the dead were Trump supporters, Stu? How many of the police who were shot? 

Let’s keep our eyes on the ball here. Innocent people at worship were slaughtered in a religious hate crime, and you’ve made this horror about Trump. Shame on you, sir. You’re better than this. 

(By the way, Trump appeared to blame the Synagogue, ...“they didn’t have any protection..” Is that really how he thinks? Who’s the wacko, Stu?) 

What truly surprises me is that you are feeding into this virulent mindset. This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 27, 2018 5:47 PM MDT
      October 27, 2018 3:54 PM MDT

The comment about the security guard was because someone again was trying to use a tragedy to disarm law abiding citizens. 
      October 27, 2018 4:15 PM MDT

I’m not surprised you miss the point again.
    Are we to expect our places of worship should be guarded by guns? What’s next, M2C, a police state? Dictatorships grow from such things. Trump seems to admire dictators. 
      October 27, 2018 4:26 PM MDT

I have attended a church for over a decade which had armed security. 

It has nothing to do with the gov it is about choosing to protect your congregation.  The guard was not hidden and all knew he was there. I also know there was more security than just him as well. That is all up to each church to decide not the gov. 
      October 27, 2018 4:54 PM MDT

You completely missed the point that Trump essentially shifted blame onto the Synagogue for not protecting it’s congregation from an armed maniac: I.e., they died because they didn’t have enough guns...at a synagogue.
    Does this NOT trouble you? 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 27, 2018 6:05 PM MDT
      October 27, 2018 5:38 PM MDT

No, we simply disagree on the point. The reporter brought up gun control. President Trump and most Republicans support the 2nd amendment. We know that even if guns were made illegal, it does not stop the criminal. (Kind of what makes them a criminal) 
    The police in NY also agree with President Trump about having armed security. That is not blaming the victim that is suggesting a solution. And that is the point. 
      October 27, 2018 7:09 PM MDT

Since people were quick to assume that the pipe bomb guy was a Trump supporter - even before he was arrested and identified, and seemingly wanting to pin all acts of violence on the pro-Trump crowd, my only point was that it's unfair and ridiculously simplistic to do so.
      October 27, 2018 5:52 PM MDT

We agree on that. The polarization is way out of hand. 

I found your Q out of character, you are among the most rational members here. Fool me once...

October 27, 2018 6:02 PM MDT

Did you take Trump's remarks as blaming the victim? He said that anti-Semitism "must be confronted anywhere and everywhere it appears" and that the outcome might have been different if the synagogue "had some kind of protection" from an armed guard and suggested that might be a good idea for all churches and synagogues. Perhaps you're correct, but it's not that clear to me.

And maybe it's an overreaction, but the mayor and police commissioner here in NYC are formulating plans to provide armed protection for churches, mosques, and synagogues around the city.
      October 27, 2018 6:53 PM MDT

I took Trump’s reaction as another one of those feckless ”both sides” positions again. I tried to articulate my thoughts on it. It just sounded wrong-headed. 

I don’t think increasing protection around these “soft targets” is overreacting anymore. The days of safe public assembly seem to be ticking away.
    I am led to wonder how far off is the police state? 
      October 27, 2018 8:56 PM MDT

no, nothing surprises nne anynnore
      October 27, 2018 4:43 PM MDT

• a regular third world country -__-
      October 27, 2018 5:42 PM MDT

• Trump is the most pro-Israel president we've had in a while, so no, it doesn't surprise me that an anti-Semitic shooter was anti-Trump. 
      October 27, 2018 8:22 PM MDT