Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » Is Halloween really all that good for kids?

Is Halloween really all that good for kids?

And we wonder where they conceive ideas of hurting/killing each other. -__-

Posted - October 31, 2018

Responses

•   October 31, 2018 8:44 AM MDT

If I were to take this question seriously, I would point out the ridiculousness of thinking ONE day/year is going to give any mentally balanced individual the idea that killing/hurting someone else is "okay".

Especially when even kids are bombarded by thousands of hours of other sources of violence in a normal year.
    Hell ... our "national sport" of (American) football is a couple hours of violence every game.
    The stories of most cartoons/anime contain violence every episode.
      October 31, 2018 9:26 AM MDT

Children's costumes have become more grotesque over the years, children no longer dress up as pumpkins or fluffy spiders and fairies but wear costumes like that which you've pointed out, I went into a Halloween store that had opened up a few months back specifically for Halloween and I found it nightmarish, three scary moving model witches at the front placing curses on everyone that entered, and children from the exorcist, eight foot death figure and more, as an adult I hated it, as I child I would have been petrified,  but as Walt O'Reagun aptly pointed out, the whole of Television has become more violent and over sexualised, with a significance on dumbing down the masses, desensitizing it to violence and sex and nurturing it's most basic animalist instinct, for what reason, is unknown? This post was edited by kjames at October 31, 2018 4:43 PM MDT
      October 31, 2018 9:48 AM MDT

• I don't think the one day a year they put on colorful costumes is to blame. Real life is violent enough as it is; kids around the world are exposed to horrific violence on a daily basis, no wonder they end up joining gangs or terrorist groups. For a more relatable example, one only needs to look at what's in most video games that are popular these days to see the kind of violence that kids imagine themselves committing. I'm not a fan of gory costumes either, but I don't think that's at the root of the problem. 
      October 31, 2018 10:08 AM MDT

i dont think so and i cant stop it
      October 31, 2018 10:40 AM MDT

Not really good for the kid's teeth...LOL
      October 31, 2018 11:59 AM MDT

Dentists give the best candy.  lol
      October 31, 2018 12:20 PM MDT

• Well let's see, endless supplies of candy, blood guts and gore, expressions and influences of paganism, staying up too late, running through the streets, going to strangers houses, and the occasional blatant display of inappropriate 
    costuming...What could possibly go wrong?  LOL!  I say, let the kids play!

October 31, 2018 1:33 PM MDT

Yes.  It's about make believe and magic for them.  If you have kids you might want to skip it though.  You seem to be off the page on appropriateness. 
      October 31, 2018 4:32 PM MDT

• Thanks for the compliment. :P
      October 31, 2018 4:46 PM MDT

I do not see anything wrong with it, it at least get them up and away from their electronic devices
      October 31, 2018 4:56 PM MDT

• Children have been celebrating Halloween in the US since the Scote and Irish brought it here. Starting in the early 1900s it has been commercialized. There is no reason why one day a year can't be celebrated as it has for over a century.  There has been a war against Halloween by evangelicals and extremist Christian goups who feel that the holiday promotes "witchcraft" and Satanism. Recently there was a petition by certain groups sent to the whitehouse to move Halloween from October 31 to the last Saturday of the month of October for "Safety" reasons.  This is yet, one more attempt by certain groups who want the holiday extinguished.

If you want to know where ideaas of death, killing, and murder come to childrens head, start with SyiFy, Movies,  our own Politicians,as well as the internet.

Have any of you watched SyFy? You can see someone's head exploding, being dismembered, shot...right on screen in glorious HD, but a Nipple or Bare buttocks are pixelized.

Halloween is not the problem .    It's the American culture This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 1, 2018 7:20 PM MDT
      October 31, 2018 5:03 PM MDT

• Amen RuPaul gif
    What amazes me is that most of the loudest voices condemning the celebration of Halloween come from Christian groups.  How ironic it is that their Holiest of Holy holidays, Christmas, is drenched with paganism and has ZERO to do with Christ's birth.
      October 31, 2018 5:13 PM MDT

• LOL

The Christmas canundrum. I can;t confirm any actual date of Christ's birth. What the hell, right? December 25th is as good as any other day and it helps assimilate the pagans into the chruch my hijacking Saturnalia and adorn it with various pagan icons 
      October 31, 2018 5:28 PM MDT

• Exactly!  The truth is The Catholic Church just incorporated the old Roman traditions into their "Christianity" and rubber stamped them "Jesus Approved."  Easter, Christmas, Halloween are all equally of Pagan roots.

See the source image
      October 31, 2018 5:36 PM MDT

• You know...I know a few people who are Jehova Witness.  They do not celebrate these holidays. Is it possible they may be the most most faithful Christian sect?  The call themselves Christian despite objections from the more mainstream sects.  I tend to agree with the JWs because they are baptised in the name of Jesus Christ
      October 31, 2018 5:44 PM MDT

Hi silas, as an active member of the Jehovah's witnesses i can tell you unequivocally we are not a sect. Though many insist we are the facts say otherwise. Have you ever visited our website jw.org? I think you'll be impressed as well as surprised. You can now study the Bible online in the privacy of your home. Thankyou for the observation you mentioned regarding our practices, and all the best to you!
      November 23, 2018 11:39 PM MST

I celebrated Halloween as a kid and I can't even bring myself to kill spiders or roaches, but I was always something like a ballerina or a princess..
      October 31, 2018 5:09 PM MDT

There is nothing cute or innocent about Halloween. The encyclopedia Americana says: "elements of the customs connected with Halloween can be traced to a druid ceremony in pre-christian times. The Celts had festivals for two major gods-a sun God and a God of the dead (called samhain), whose festival was held on November 1, the beginning of the Celtic new ysar. The festival of the dead was gradually incorporated into christian ritual."
    The book "the worship of the Dead points to this origin: "the mytholoegies of all the ancient nations are interwoven with the events of the Deluge...The force of this argument is illustrated by the fact of the observance of a great festival of the dead in commemoration of the event, not only by nations more or less in communication with each other, but by others widely separated, both by the ocean and by centuries of time. This festival is, moreover, held by all on or about the very day on which, according to the mosaic account, the Deluge took place, viz.,the seventeenth day of the second month--the month corresponding with our November."(London, 1904, colonel j. Garner, p.4)thus these celebrations actually began with an honoring of people whom God had destroyed because of their badness in noah's day. Genesis 6:5-7; 7:11.
    Sure holidays honoring "spirits of the dead " as if they were alive in another realm are contrary to the bible's description of death as a state of complete unconsciousness. -Ecclesiastes 9:5,10; psalms 146:4.
      October 31, 2018 10:39 PM MDT

There is nothing cute or innocent about Halloween. The encyclopedia Americana says: "elements of the customs connected with Halloween can be traced to a druid ceremony in pre-christian times. The Celts had festivals for two major gods-a sun God and a God of the dead (called samhain), whose festival was held on November 1, the beginning of the Celtic new ysar. The festival of the dead was gradually incorporated into christian ritual."
    The book "the worship of the Dead points to this origin: "the mytholoegies of all the ancient nations are interwoven with the events of the Deluge...The force of this argument is illustrated by the fact of the observance of a great festival of the dead in commemoration of the event, not only by nations more or less in communication with each other, but by others widely separated, both by the ocean and by centuries of time. This festival is, moreover, held by all on or about the very day on which, according to the mosaic account, the Deluge took place, viz.,the seventeenth day of the second month--the month corresponding with our November."(London, 1904, colonel j. Garner, p.4)thus these celebrations actually began with an honoring of people whom God had destroyed because of their badness in noah's day. Genesis 6:5-7; 7:11.
    Sure holidays honoring "spirits of the dead " as if they were alive in another realm are contrary to the bible's description of death as a state of complete unconsciousness. -Ecclesiastes 9:5,10; psalms 146:4.
      October 31, 2018 10:39 PM MDT