Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Fashion » Why are they called "Sports Jackets?" Have you ever seen anyone playing soccer or water skiing in one?

Why are they called "Sports Jackets?" Have you ever seen anyone playing soccer or water skiing in one?

Posted - November 4, 2018

Responses

No, but I once saw film of men at a long-ago college reunion playing softball while thusly attired.
      November 4, 2018 9:12 PM MST

• Because calling them "More expensive because they've got a team name on them" is too hard to fit in a ad poster.  :)
      November 4, 2018 10:04 PM MST

We used to dress to go to sporting events.  The sports coat gave men a way to dress up without wearing a full suit.  Men wore sports coats and ties to college games until I guess the early 80s.  When we were in college we dressed for games and the guys always wore ties and sports coats.
      November 5, 2018 2:25 AM MST

No they were casual wear which allowed men to look nice for everyday activities without going formal or wearing a suit.  Men looked good in them and still do. 
      November 5, 2018 4:55 AM MST

Sports jackets are for people who are into faux sports.  They want the sporty look without the work. 
      November 5, 2018 6:28 AM MST

not sure about this, but I think the term 'sport' as it applies to sport jackets or sport coats implies that they are not 'dressy', but 'sporty', sporty as in casual, etc.....not fussy......& nothing to do with real 'sports'.........

and that's what I think!!!

:-D

:-D
      November 5, 2018 8:44 AM MST

Image result for why didn't i think of that gif
      November 5, 2018 5:26 PM MST

sonne people nnight play sports in thenn
      November 5, 2018 10:37 AM MST