Discussion » Questions » Environment » Are any of the world's resources actually depleting enough to cause a global conflict of a war?

Are any of the world's resources actually depleting enough to cause a global conflict of a war?

Posted - November 15, 2018

Responses

• No, I don't think so. We have enough resources. We just may not have the funds to properly distribute them. 
      November 15, 2018 10:12 AM MST

My belief is: at some point it will become clean water.  

I remember the day when clean pure artesian water flowed freely.  It still must exist somewhere in the world.  Tasting it once more before passing on is on my bucket list. It's hard for young people to imagine clean air and clean water...both at the same time.  It did exist at one time, now just a fond memory for many of us.  
      November 15, 2018 11:48 AM MST

MorningStar has a good answer.

Clean water is becoming scarce.
    Fisheries are dying because the increase in ocean temperature, and the changing levels of salt.

However, the industrial countries (which are causing the problem) have the technology to counter it.
    So far.
    So they can get clean water, and create "fish farms", to continue to meet their needs.

And the non-industrial countries don't have a military capable of challenging the other nations.
    So we won't see a global war over resources.
    What is more likely, is an increase of state-sponsored terrorism as the "minor" nations attempt to "put the pain" on the "major" nations, to encourage them to change their ways.  EG: attacks against water-treatment facilities, to deny their ability to get clean water.
      November 15, 2018 12:09 PM MST

To expand on your point, the world’s ancient aquifers, the freshwater reserves collected deep in the ground over millions of years, are depleting faster than rains can replenish them. Many farms are watered from wells tapped into these aquifers. 
      November 15, 2018 5:13 PM MST

I constantly find intelligence to be in short supply.
      November 15, 2018 12:14 PM MST

... and that's usually the cause of wars.

Governments are too seldom like Bruce Banner, and too much like The Hulk.
      November 15, 2018 2:11 PM MST

not that i know of
      November 15, 2018 2:36 PM MST

Sand. 
    After air and water, the most used resource in the world. 

Concrete, asphalt, bricks, glass. The stuff we build society out of. And desert sand won’t work. 

Already a HUGE black market for it.

world uses 50,000,000,000 tons a year.
      November 15, 2018 4:35 PM MST

• Heavy! I gotta think about that one and get back to ya!
      November 15, 2018 8:48 PM MST