Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » I don't eat meat and I just learned how BAD soy products are. I have gallstones and that is a contributor. THIS IS A HEALTH FOOD????

I don't eat meat and I just learned how BAD soy products are. I have gallstones and that is a contributor. THIS IS A HEALTH FOOD????

Posted - November 17, 2018

Responses

Conflicting information from the same website...bogus. I'm glad you found that.
      November 19, 2018 12:36 PM MST

Dangers of Soy #1

A 1991 study found that eating only 2 TBL/day of roasted and pickled soybeans for 3 months to healthy adults who were receiving adequate iodine in their diet caused thyroid suppression with symptoms of malaise, constipation, sleepiness, and goiters (Nippon Naibunpi Gakkai Zasshi 1991, 767: 622-629)!

Still think munching on edamame instead of popcorn is a healthy habit?

Dangers of Soy #2

Six premenopausal women with normal menstrual cycles were given 45 mg of soy isoflavones per day. This is equivalent to only 1-2 cups of soy milk or 1/2 cup of soy flour!   After only one month, all of the women experienced delayed menstruation with the effects similar to tamoxifen, the anti-estrogen drug given to women with breast cancer (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1994 Sep;60(3):333-340).

Dangers of Soy #3

Dietary estrogens in the form of soy foods were found to have the potential to disrupt the endocrine system with the effects in women similar to taking the breast cancer drug tamoxifen (Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine 1995 Jan;208(1):51-9).

Dangers of Soy #4

Estrogens consumed in the diet at low concentrations were found to stimulate breast cells much like DDT to increase enzymatic activity which leads to breast cancer (Environmental Health Perspectives 1997 Apr;105 (Suppl 3):633-636).

Dangers of Soy #5

The soy isoflavones genistein and daidzein appear to stimulate existing breast cancer growth indicating risk in consuming soy products if a woman has breast cancer. (Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2001 Sep;35(9):118-21).

Dangers of Soy #6

Direct evidence that soy isoflavones genistein and daidzein suppress the pituitary-thyroid axis in middle-aged rats fed 10 mg soy isoflavones per kilo after only 3 weeks as compared with rats eating regular rat chow (Experimental Biology and Medicine 2010 May;235(5):590-8).

Dangers of Soy #7

Don’t eat soy when you are pregnant ladies!  Scientific research has shown that the developing male fetus which is exposed to soy phytoestrogens may suffer from higher susceptibility to prostate cancer later in life (Prostate 1994;24(2):67-78).

Dangers of Soy #8

Keep that soy away from your daughters!   Dietary genistein (soy phytoestrogen) in developing female rats had the effect of significantly accelerated puberty (Toxicol Sci 1999 Oct;51(2):236-44).

In addition, early exposure to soy is associated with less female typical play patterns in girls at 42 months of age (Environ Health Perspect v. 119(12); Dec 2011).

Dangers of Soy #9

Hey guys! Soy protein powder strips your masculinity!  A study of 12 men aged 18 years and older experienced a 19% drop in serum testosterone in only 28 days when supplemented with 56 grams of soy protein powder over that same time period (Prev 2007;16:829—33).

Dangers of Soy #10

Do NOT feed soy formula to your babies!  Female newborns who are orally exposed to genisin, the glycosylated form of genistein (soy phytoestrogen) experienced harm to the reproductive system in the form of “delayed vaginal opening… abnormal estrous cycles, decreased fertility, and delayed parturition.” (Environmental Health Perspective 2009 Dec;117(12):1883-9).

More information on the dangers of soy infant formula even if organic can be found in this article.

Convinced yet?   I don’t know about you, but ten reasons is plenty for me!   Still interested to see the remaining 160 reasons?  My friend Dr. Kaayla Daniel, author of the must read The Whole Soy Story, has compiled the rest of the list for you if you click here.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at November 19, 2018 12:42 PM MST
      November 19, 2018 12:39 PM MST

Wow...I did see a few of those at the site I went to.
      November 19, 2018 12:43 PM MST

Read number 3.  That is the key problem with this stuff.
      November 19, 2018 12:40 PM MST

I can't find anything else that suggests that some gallstones are made from calcium, oxalate or anything other than fat/cholesterol. Maybe it was supposed to just say bladder stones, along with kidney stones. 

:?
      November 19, 2018 6:11 PM MST

nnaybe you should have your gallstones taken out, ive had to do that
      November 18, 2018 2:00 PM MST

I can dissolve them.  It is not hard to do it on your own.  

But I can handle taking gall stones out, just don't take the gallbladder.  I cannot deal with that one.
      November 18, 2018 8:02 PM MST

I just wrapped up a nutrition course as part of my degree program and we discussed soy. As of now, there is no actual verifiable scientific data that has been accepted by the medical community to suggest soy is dangerous to the general population. 

That said, I also would not make soy a big part of my diet. Moderation and variation are key in any diet. You can get protein from legumes, seeds, and nuts. Or, if you're not a vegan, you can get it from dairy products; eggs, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, and so forth. I personally do not get enough protein, but when I eat dairy, I have no trouble meeting the guidelines. All I had to do was make sure I had cottage cheese or Greek yogurt for breakfast and I was golden. When I missed that, I had to do more work to get enough through nuts and legumes. 

Each person is different, though. You should have a diet that's appropriate for your needs- conditions, genetics, age, weight, etc. New data is released all the time, though, so we may someday conclude soy isn't great, but we're not there yet. For now, it is considered a healthy food. Particularly when you compare it to alternatives, it does shine. But, that doesn't mean you have to have it... there are so many options. 
      November 19, 2018 10:58 AM MST

I guess you have something.  Because it is on the shelves still.

I hope you are right.  But I gave up meat and I eat loads of soy substitutes and never had any health issues before.  I have researched quite the opposite.  It really messes hormonal levels and if you don't think that is an issue?  That is how the entire body operates, as you know by now.

I pray I am wrong, but I don't trust classes any more than I trust Western medicine.  

November 19, 2018 12:31 PM MST

Well, you have to take into consideration that regulations come about when studies show excess consumption of something can cause harm, and there presently are not enough studies to demonstrate soy is harmful, let alone in quantities a person might normally eat.

If we were to compare soy to something like supplements... we know supplements can cause harm when people ingest too much and certain supplements interact with medications and may not be good for people with specific conditions. We could use smokers as an example. A smoker who takes Vitamin C supplements is actually increasing their risk for lung cancer. That doesn't mean Vitamin C is dangerous. There are some vitamins that are totally harmless to the general population, like Vitamin E, that can increase risk of prostate cancer in certain populations too. 

We're still learning how diet impacts our bodies. Things like soy which may well be the cause of your stones could be perfectly safe for me. Or, it could be the amount you ingested. Maybe having it once a week is fine... kind of like certain types of fish that are high in mercury. Fish is great for your diet, but you wouldn't want to eat mercury-containing fish daily. A time or two per week is ok though.

I will say overall the class I took blew my mind. By the end of it, I learned I don't know a dang thing about nutrition and that the science of it is still developing. It all boiled down to "eat a varied diet" and "if you have nutritional concerns or any kind of health condition, consult with a nutritionist." 
      November 19, 2018 5:39 PM MST

Funny, I eat meat and don't have gallstones. Who is healthier?
      November 19, 2018 11:21 AM MST

This is not a contest.  Chiding me about this is not what I need right now.  I may die.

They are testing me to see if there is a malignancy in my gallbladder.  And I ate meat for years.

It is confusing to me because I ate a lot of crap and was filled with stress for the last couple of years.

But if I don't have cancer, I am eliminating anything that even hints of bad.

Sugar?  Horrible

I didn't realize I was playing with fire.

Glad you are healthy.  
      November 19, 2018 12:33 PM MST

OK. I hope for the best. Good luck!
      November 19, 2018 1:30 PM MST

Sending positive energy your way, Sharonna! Hope your tests come back all good. 
      November 19, 2018 6:17 PM MST