Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If you heard someone say "go jump a shark" would you understand the meaning and source of it originally?

If you heard someone say "go jump a shark" would you understand the meaning and source of it originally?

Posted - November 25, 2018

Responses

No that would baffle me. I know the expression, go jump in a lake?
      November 25, 2018 9:30 AM MST

Hi there m'dear! I was going to explain it to you but Shuhak did a fine job of doing so. Please read the reply he provided because he did an excellent job and in fewer words than I would have used which is always a treat! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      November 26, 2018 2:26 AM MST

I know the term "jumping (or jumped) the shark" came from the TV series Happy Days.  It means that something has gone its course (as Fonzie, a lead character in the show, jumped over a shark on water skis.  The writers had run out of material to continue the show, signaling that the the show had run out of material to continue (although the series Happy Days somehow managed to limp on for another 5 seasons after it "jumped the shark".

Is this what you had in mind?
      November 25, 2018 2:52 PM MST

Precisely Shuhak. I wonder when  the prez will jump the shark or d'ya think he may already have? Thank you for your informative reply. I was going to explain  it to Addb who is not  American but now I shall just ask her to read your reply! Happy Monday m'dear! :)
      November 26, 2018 2:25 AM MST