Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is there any holiday tradition for which your town is known that attracts scores of travelers all over the world? Wouldja share?

Is there any holiday tradition for which your town is known that attracts scores of travelers all over the world? Wouldja share?

Don't know if you've ever heard of THE MISSION INN located in downtown Riverside, California but it is quite famous among some and attracts hundreds of thousands of people to Riverside each year. The owners decorate it with animated figures on every story and there are a zillion lights that take your breath away at night. Anything like that in your town?

Posted - November 28, 2018

Responses

Over the last 20 years NYC has lost for me a lot of its' soul.  Went to a Christmas Market there in Union Square and another one two years ago.  Neither one had the energy or the class of Europe. Lot of expensive junk for sale however and a small restrictive bar area.

Wienachts is about having a glass of whatever with friends.  NYC has none of that for me
      November 28, 2018 7:55 PM MST

Perhaps because you don't live here. But in all honesty, I don't go into Manhattan often; maybe only 3-4 times a year.

But the question was about holiday events that attract tourists, and NYC has those in spades.
    This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at November 28, 2018 9:44 PM MST
      November 28, 2018 8:01 PM MST

:):):)
      November 30, 2018 6:13 AM MST

Spectacular reply for which I thank you. Happy Thursday.
      November 29, 2018 2:21 AM MST

Just the annual Christmas Pageant. Some of the floats are eighty years old.

The BIG international event in Adelaide is the biennial Festival of the Arts, but that's in March.
      November 29, 2018 3:28 AM MST

That's a beautiful photo Sbf. The Festival of the Arts sounds superduper grand! Is that all the arts from the written word to the painted canvas to music to acting to dancing? Are you proficient in any of the "arts". Besides writing of course which any old-timers like us on internet social sites have to be to participate. Thank you for your reply! :)                                   
      November 29, 2018 4:15 AM MST

I'm a songwriter, remember? Fake News Blues.

Mostly performing arts - theatre, music (singing or instrumental), dance. Occasionally there's an exhibition of canvases and/or sculpture, but not always.
      November 29, 2018 4:27 AM MST

Oops. Many apologies Sbf. How could I forget? Old isn't easy being 24/7. Ya have yer ups and downs. So you are a tunesmith...well you are a lyricist. Do you write your own melodies? Are you a Rogers & Hammerstein all by yourself? Or Rogers & Hart? Do you hear melodies inside your head and do lyrics just flow when you hear a melody or do they come first and then you put music to them? Thank you for your reply. Are we still pals?
      November 29, 2018 4:46 AM MST

Of course. I don't have enough buddies to spare.
    Sometimes the music comes first, more often the lyrics do. I'm more Gilbert than Sullivan, but even noted lyricists like Dylan and Lennon composed as well. Lennon was talented enough to perform them well - the less said about Mr Zimmerman's voice, the better. The covers sound better than the originals.
      November 29, 2018 4:51 AM MST

Thanks pal. It so boggles my mind Sbf. Creativity is such an awesome thing to have within one. It's awesome like the Aurora  Borealis or rainbows for those of us who are privileged to witness it. We hear a beautiful voice and wonder how can anyone have such ability? Or hear a favorite tune and hum or sing along with it and we always feel better. Or watch a moving performance by an actor or actress who takes you out of your world and brings you into theirs? I am not creative at all. Well my son sez I am in the kitchen but that doesn't count. I do appreciate and admire those who are creative and I'm always made to feel better by it. Music can pull you up and out and send you soaring!  It can make you remember precious times. Lyrics too. "Dust in the Wind". "Windmills of your mind". "Send in the Clowns". "Sunrise  Sunset". Or poetry. Or a really fine fictional novel like" To Kill a Mockingbird" or  "Gentleman's Agreement" (don't know if it  was novel-based or written for the screen) or any of the earlier novels of John Steinbeck like Cannery Row, Tortilla Flats (my favorite author). As for dancing the brilliance of Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly or Eleanor Powell or Ann Miller. Who can forget William Warfield singing "Old Man River" or  Mario Lanza singing anything or Ella Fitzgerald( I ADORED her). All part of the fabric of whom we are....for better or worse. But I digress. Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 30, 2018 11:08 PM MST
      November 29, 2018 5:09 AM MST