Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Should ballot harvesting be allowed?

Should ballot harvesting be allowed?

This done with mail in ballots. They are collected by a third party and turned in the day of the election. 

This was legal for the first time in CA this year. 

Does this invite fraud and vote suppression?

Posted - November 30, 2018

Responses

Weird and suspect.  But I have not observed any info on the process.  Maybe that was the best they could do with the equipment that they have.  I mean INFRASTRUCTRE in this country is at an all time low and I don't know how voting equipment to register our nation's leaders fits in that category.

But we have been RAPED, My 2.  And after that travesty in 2016 and the gerrymandering of the districts and the  Wiki Leaks from Russian agents... and the trying to blame HILLARY CLINTON, of all people for it?

This seems small in comparison.

And I trust the Dems.  I don't trust the GOP.  Sad but true.  

Also, since you are denying any Blue Wave I don't see what you are so concerned about.  Also, if the election process in Cali had gone YOUR way?  We would hear a different take coming from you.  AND SARA HUCKABEE.
      November 30, 2018 10:50 AM MST

I don't think anyone should handle my ballot except myself and the poll workers. 
    I also do not think outside groups should be registering people to vote. I think when you get your ID at the DMV if you are a citizen and eligible to vote, you should automatically be registered. It remains in effect as long as your ID is valid. 

If 2016 House was the result of gerrymandering, so it is the result of 2018. Districts have not been redrawn yet except for one state.
    But yes, blue ripple as Trump lost under 40 and most midterms the power party loses 50-60 and loses the Senate as well.

November 30, 2018 1:35 PM MST

• Yes, absolutely. American elections should include "found" ballots, invented ballots, destroyed ballots and anyone above or below the ground. We have no right to restrain or prevent illegals from voting, nor do we have the right to prevent the entire Western Hemisphere from voting in our "elections". The other nations of the world have more at stake in an American election than we do. 
      November 30, 2018 10:54 AM MST

Yep.  That's what it means.  Try reading a paper on the actual election process and how it was conducted.

Just because an area that has been RED and REPUBLICAN for years cannot stomach Trump, and went out of their way to vote BLUE, does not mean they have illegal anything voting.

How about the 2016 election?  Forgot about that already?  How convenient of you.  

There was illegal immigrants all over the place with RUSSIA meddling.    There was gerrymandering so you had to really suck to lose.  BUT TRUMP REALLY SUCKS and he lost.   NOW the tide has turned and anything you nay sayers try to pull?  Don't matter any more.

November 30, 2018 11:02 AM MST

lol....globalism at its finest.
      November 30, 2018 1:25 PM MST

I don't know California's law(s) regarding mail-in ballots.

Oregon and Washington have had ONLY mail-in ballots for years.
    They are constantly finding "misplaced" ballots, when the results are close.

It is easier to audit a private company, than a government agency.
    So maybe there is something in favor of having an independent, private company collect and tally ballots.
      November 30, 2018 11:56 AM MST

Makes sense....people will look for ways to game the system.
      November 30, 2018 1:24 PM MST

It should not be legal.  Everyone should be responsible for getting their vote turned in to be counted, or for getting themselves to the polls.  There are always people willing to help, but people's signed ballots should be mailed by them or delivered to polling place by them.  NO THIRD-PARTY COLLECTION AND DELIVERY.
      November 30, 2018 1:19 PM MST

I agree. We should all be responsible for our vote. To get it there on time. And to fill it out properly---if the ballot cannot be certain how the vote was meant then it should not be counted. 
      November 30, 2018 1:23 PM MST

I actually wasn't familiar with this concept until your post. I've always gone down to my polling place and done my voting in person. It feels like Christmas to me. ^_^

That being said, I, personally, would not feel comfortable handing my ballot over to a random third party. I would not trust them. Even if they shared my political beliefs, I would not trust them. I spend time getting to know the ins and outs of every prop. I learn about the candidates. I don't always vote alongside my party. I think there are many voters who go with whatever propaganda they hear or don't take time to learn where money is coming/ going from, who is sponsoring things, and so forth. I also think that changing votes would be easy to do. I have very little faith in consumer organizations. On the surface, purely because of this, I don't like the idea of ballot harvesting. 

But, to argue against myself, my next question was, "Why don't these people just get their own ballots in?" Why indeed. Is it that they're lazy? Is it that they don't care? Is it that they wanted more time to research? Or, could it be that there were extenuating circumstances? Maybe they are ill. Maybe they are tied up caring for a family member. Maybe they are working multiple jobs to support their families. Should they not have a say? 

Ergo, I'm not totally against it. I want everyone to be able to vote, regardless of their circumstances. However, I want it to be done in a safe secure way, where the ballots cannot be tampered with. If something can be done to ensure checks are in place with those ballots and they they're not being messed with, I would accept ballot harvesting. 
      November 30, 2018 1:56 PM MST

I also vote in person on election day.  We do not have early voting only absentee if we show we cannot vote on election day. But like you, I would not anyway. I also know the positions of the people I am voting for/against and any other issues on my ballot. 

I also would not trust a third party to deliver my ballot. I don't even fully trust the mailman if mailing it in myself. From what I understand in CA, it is all mail in ballots no in person voting at all, can drop off your ballot in person. So to me a third party should not be necessary....any one capable of voting should be able to drop it in the mail regardless of life circumstances. 
      November 30, 2018 2:11 PM MST

only if its legal
      November 30, 2018 2:30 PM MST