Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Sports » How many cyclists do you think are killed, or left with long-term injuries, each year that could have been prevented by wearing a helmet?

How many cyclists do you think are killed, or left with long-term injuries, each year that could have been prevented by wearing a helmet?

I know the vast majority do wear helmets nowadays, but there are still a few who don't. Last month I had to help a crashed cyclist who had fallen off at 20mph and landed on his head. He wasn't wearing one. I don't know how badly injured he was but it looked pretty bad and he was probably concussed.

Posted - December 1, 2018

Responses

These days most bicyclists seem to wear helmets but I remember when that was not so and I don't know that anyone was hurt back then.  Of course there are so many more people now who indulge in that which is of course not very safe anyway since it especially involves balance anyway.  And they have become so aggressive putting themselves in harms way and going where they reasonably should not go at all and often so very fast that I am surprised I don't hear of more of them being harmed or killed.  But I guess for many of them it has become political and a cause for them which they seem to be OK dying for.  Days are over when people just tooled down the street on bicycles.  Now seems to have become a whole lifestyle and they look and act differently from others.  Like they are on a crusade or something.  Like they are very competitive and trying to outdo one another in being daring and careless. Bicycles are very dangerous and not just to themselves but to regular automobile and other traffic using roads.  They have hit me three or four times and I have been in situations where they are trying to outrun me and I am trying to drive and they are all around me which is extremely unnerving and very scary.  Roads are no longer safe due to the increased bicycle traffic in the last oh twelve years.  Area we live in there are so many of them esp on weekends like a plague of locusts. 
      December 3, 2018 7:10 AM MST

Florida does not have a helmet law.  I see people every single day riding without a helmet.  I label them fools.
      December 3, 2018 1:10 PM MST