Active Now

glenho
Discussion » Questions » Finance » An exchange student from a Third-World country is assigned to study only YOUR financial practices for 12 months.

An exchange student from a Third-World country is assigned to study only YOUR financial practices for 12 months.

What are some assumptions that might be derived about economics in your country as a result of those studies?

*The student may or may not live in your residence during the 12-month study, as the outcome is not dependent upon living arrangements. 
~

Posted - December 2, 2018

Responses

That our country is poor.  
      December 2, 2018 7:56 AM MST

he'll see what its like to live on very little nnoney
      December 2, 2018 9:14 AM MST

I think the only takeaway would be that the student could like like a king or queen on my wages in his or her country. In the US, not so much. Chances are, they'd be shocked at how much we spend on food too. 

Americans, in general, do kind of have it backwards when it comes to food. It's one of our biggest expenses, but we still eat crap food. If you think about it, how many extra hours per week/ per month do we work just to buy prepackaged/ fast food? And all that crap food makes us unhealthy. We're basically working to make ourselves sick. If we shifted things, worked less, and prepped our own meals from scratch, I get we'd be a happier, healthier nation. 
      December 2, 2018 11:18 AM MST

If we worked less, we would use that time cooking. Maybe they would be shocked about how much food we eat and throw away.
      December 2, 2018 5:40 PM MST

I agree: astonishingly large quantities of perfectly good food in this country (USA) either gets thrown away as is or is allowed to rot, even with rampant starvation among vast pockets of our population. 

:[

December 2, 2018 5:45 PM MST

Quite sad.
      December 2, 2018 5:48 PM MST

He/she might be amazed at what I can afford on two retirement incomes and social security. And a part time job.
      December 2, 2018 5:43 PM MST

For clarification, are you saying the finances are sparse yet you manage them well enough to afford good food/abundant amounts of food, or are you saying that the finances are overly sufficient and you can buy more than enough food?
    ~
      December 2, 2018 5:48 PM MST

Since there is only the two of us, I try to purchase only the amounts I need for one meal. We eat lots of leftovers and freeze much of what we don't eat for future meals. My finances pay the bills and other expenses with only a couple of hundred left each month. But since we are older, we find our needs are few, so we don't spend money for frivolous things we don't need. We are comfortable and secure. I have no desire to accumulate large sums of money that I can't take with me. If we quit the part time job, we will have some issues.
      December 2, 2018 5:58 PM MST

(Since there is are just the two of us . . . )
      December 2, 2018 6:25 PM MST

Thanks...I was debating about that. Too bad others don't take your corrections so lightly.
      December 2, 2018 6:29 PM MST