Discussion » Questions » Politics » Looks Like a Duck and Quacks Like a Duck…

Looks Like a Duck and Quacks Like a Duck…

I know we’re not supposed to say this out loud because it’s so outrageous to suggest that ISIS and American conservatives might have anything in common. And obviously the level of outrageous and murderous violence perpetrated by ISIS has no parallel in the American political system–but that’s also because of the secular counterweight of civil society and constitutional democracy. Culturally, there are a lot of striking similarities between the conservative reactionary ethos in both the western and the Islamic worlds.

Hate evolution? check.

Hate sexually liberated and empowered women? Check.

Love guns and hate gays? Check.

Hate big liberal government? Check.

Believe that society should be organized according to religious principles and that secular people should have no right to curtail religious “freedom”? Check.

Want to empower down-home rural principles against those corrupt city bubble dwellers? Check.

Believe in eye-for-an-eye retributive justice? Check.

Love to sport big Duck Dynasty-style beards? Check.

Just how much quacking do we need to see here before we acknowledge they’re just differing species of the same family of ducks?

(Source: washingtonmonthly.com)

Posted - August 23, 2016

Responses

yes!

August 23, 2016 3:00 AM MDT

Hey sweetest, it's good to see you around again!!
      August 23, 2016 3:04 AM MDT

• I think the common link you're looking for is absolutism.

August 23, 2016 4:01 AM MDT

Right off here, I am not a conservative, I lean libertarian. But I am a Christian whose values do tend to be conservative. And btw...no "secular counterweight" reins me in...and this is a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy...you might try learning the difference.

So let us examine your checklist, shall we?

Hates evolution: Nope...though I do say prove it or call it a theory. And no, I do not claim creation as something proven.

Hate sexually liberated and empowered women: Nope (that would really hurt).

Love guns and hate gays: WTF? One has nothing to do with the other. Let's separate them.

Love guns: Check.

Hate gays: Bullsh*t.

Hate big liberal government: Check.

Believe that society should be organized according to religious principles and that secular people should have no right to curtail religious “freedom”? Again, two separate issues.

Believe that society should be organized according to religious principles: Absolutely not.

Secular people should have no right to curtail religious “freedom”: Check.

Want to empower down-home rural principles against those corrupt city bubble dwellers: Nope, let 'em do what they want...and all the rural folk as well. To each their own.

Believe in eye-for-an-eye retributive justice: Nope. Believe in true justice, though...note: whatever Joe Blow faces so does Mr. Politician/Millionare/Celebrity.

Love to sport big Duck Dynasty-style beards: I don't give a FF what turns your crank to sport...DD beards or pants hanging off your ass or purple hair...just do not complain about my cutoffs, wife beater (don't even go there...that is what it's called) and combat boots.

Try not to broad brush stereotype people, eh?

August 23, 2016 4:06 AM MDT

• Well, ISIS doesn't see it that way. The ISIS manifesto speaks of an alliance with the left.

"A growing population of left-winged activists (people who are against; human/animal abuses,
    Zionism, and Austerity measures etc) look upto the Muslims as a force who are strong enough to
    fight against the injustices of the world. Many of these people
    (who are sometimes part of Anonymous and Anarchy movements) will ally with the Muslims to fight
    against the neo-Nazis’ and rich politicians. They will give intelligence, share weapons and do
    undercover work for the Muslims to pave the way for the conquest of Rome." -  ISIS Manifesto

https://politicallyshort.com/2016/03/27/the-lefts-unholy-alliance-w...

It's the left that want open borders that will allow the Islamification of our culture. It's the left that shield Muslims from criticism using political correctness. In Europe people who criticize Islam are often arrested.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/02/16/british-police-arrest-ma...

August 23, 2016 4:07 AM MDT

I thought we agreed on the mundaneeeeee! :(
      August 23, 2016 4:37 AM MDT

Sorry Sapphie...

Old habits... And, no one seemed liking my question; squat toilets and cultural commensurability?

August 23, 2016 4:58 AM MDT

I have a problem with anyone who uses a broad brush to define an entire group of people, regardless of who those people are.

August 23, 2016 5:11 AM MDT

Hmm... Worth a quiz...

I'll be back in a sec... Or so... ;-)

August 23, 2016 5:15 AM MDT

Wrong way to go about it...if that was indeed her intent.

August 23, 2016 5:22 AM MDT

You seem missing out on the fact that these aren't my words, it's all taken from an article... The stereotyping will be all on your expenses. But anyway, thanks the lecturing and the judging. It's always nice with friendly and helpful people around...

As goes for the democracy vs. constitutional republic... Let me take another quote:

I often hear people argue that the United States is a republic, not a democracy. But that’s a false dichotomy. A common definition of “republic” is, to quote the American Heritage Dictionary, “A political order in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who are entitled to vote for officers and representatives responsible to them” — we are that. A common definition of “democracy” is, “Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives” — we are that, too.

The United States is not a direct democracy, in the sense of a country in which laws (and other government decisions) are made predominantly by majority vote. Some lawmaking is done this way, on the state and local levels, but it’s only a tiny fraction of all lawmaking. But we are a representative democracy, which is a form of democracy.

(Source: Eugene Volokh; washingtonpost.com)

All my best, and have a lovely day...

August 23, 2016 5:25 AM MDT

Mmhmmm. You might be right. :-)

August 23, 2016 5:26 AM MDT

They got here... :-)

August 23, 2016 5:27 AM MDT

*like*

August 23, 2016 5:28 AM MDT

• I have no doubt that pro Muslim factions within the western establishment are already aiding radical Islam. Though obviously it's done covertly and / or with plausible deniability. For example, the Obama administration funded and supplied Syrian rebels under the pretext of opposing Assad. Though the vast majority of so called freedom fighters were radical Islamists. I believe they fanned the flames of ISIS deliberately. I simply don't believe they could be so incompetent.

If you are are only concerned with is happening or has happened you're incapable of strategic thought. By the time something is a proven reality, it is usually too late to do anything about it. Your way of thinking is completely short sighted.

August 23, 2016 5:43 AM MDT

When you post something without any opinion or disclaimer, you are basically posting it as your opinion.  All I did was respond to what you posted, point by point.  

While we may democratically elect our representatives, that does not make us a "democracy".  The key difference is in the rights of the minority...in a true democracy, they do not exist.  

August 23, 2016 5:54 AM MDT

True democracies doesn't exist anywhere. I think you're very well able to read how democracy is meant inside the quote... As for disclaimer, I made aware which source was used... That will be all I have to say... As said, have a lovely day... 

August 23, 2016 6:23 AM MDT

You know...he does kind of look like a duck.

August 23, 2016 6:28 AM MDT

Oh my... I did it all wrong...

August 23, 2016 6:35 AM MDT

The little fellow in the gif? Mmhmmm. :-)

August 23, 2016 6:43 AM MDT

Look SH, I realize that a whole bunch of us converged here from at least three different sites, and perhaps we are used to doing things a different way. Every site I have ever been on has been such that if you post something without any personal opinion attached, it is taken as the poster's opinion.

As far as directing me to your cut & paste definition of democracy...I summarized it quite succinctly in a single sentence. I stand by that. I really don't care if "true" democracy exists. I clearly stated it wasn't applicable here, and it is not, so that is a moot point.

You can cut & paste to your heart's content and I will simply ignore your posts in the future. You have a great day, too.

August 23, 2016 6:59 AM MDT

Don't you worry... I intend to. You just keep trying to lecture me in your patronizing way as in your replies here... Try convince me it's your way or... It might have went well for you on the other sites you talk about, it doesn't with me.

To be honest with you, I don't care how you feel about me. It's free for you to take part inside my posts, but it's also free for me to respond on your sayings as I do. It's NOT my fault you don't know how to read a quote with a named source, and feel free to repeat your mistake about the US not being a representative democracy. Doesn't make it more true. Be stubborn instead of admitting a hasty reaction.

I D O N ' T C A R E

August 23, 2016 7:11 AM MDT

I wasn't lecturing, SH, just stating a fact.  If you post an opinion or political post and do not state that you agree, disagree or are just throwing it out for discussion, what else would anyone think but that you agreed with it?  Even disregarding that, I responded to what you posted point by point.  Something you should expect if you post an opinion...whether yours or a cut & paste.  

Again, we do democratically elect most of our representitives, but we are still a Constitutional Republic.

August 23, 2016 7:23 AM MDT

This is the main reason why I don't ask questions SH... some people cant take it as a general question.. they just assume that's your opinion.. when that clearly isn't the case.

August 23, 2016 7:27 AM MDT